With silicone implants after 2 years do I need the capsule out?

If the caspule is left in when I flex my chest muscle will you see it like when the implant is in? Also does removing capsule effect the outcome of how they look?

En bloc capsulectomy

For explant surgery, it is almost always best to remove the capsule in its entirety.  This will allow the space to heal.  If you leave the capsule in place, it does not heal.  Fluid can accumulate in the space.  The situation that brings the patient to implant removal will have an affect on the decision.  This is a surgery which requires discussion with the plastic surgeon about the problem, the goals, and the technical concerns.  The body does not re-absorb the capsule.  Revision surgery requires drains because the fluid is going to be generated when you operate on the scar capsule.  If you provide a mechanism for the fluid to be removed (i.e. drains), the risks are lower.  If the fluid accumulates because there were no drains, it will most certainly cause problems in the future.

It depends upon the thickness of the capsule and if total removal s even possible.Best to seek only in person opinions..

Capsule removal 2 years post BBA

A capsule is fibrous tissue that naturally forms around foreign devices when placed inside your body which is this case is an implant. The capsule does not need to be removed at all, unless it contracts severely. This can happen from inflammation and bacterial contamination, and in that case a surgery would be required to not only remove the capsule but also the implant.

There are 4 grades/levels of capsular contracture:

• Grade I — the breast is normally soft and appears natural in size and shape
  • Grade II — the breast is a little firm, but appears normal.
  • Grade III — the breast is firm and appears abnormal.
  • Grade IV — the breast is hard, painful to the touch, and appears abnormal.

If your breasts do not appear abnormal, or painful, then you do not require surgery. Note that a new capsule may automatically form after removal of the previous one.

Additionally, the capsule will have no effect on the looks of the implants unless they start to contract as I mentioned below.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon to have your concerns and questions addressed.

Hope this helps

Martin Jugenburg, MD