Should I return to my surgeon who performed my BA? I now have a slow leak 5 years post sx. Surgeon error or faulty product?

Under muscle saline BA: Oct 2011. 2 weeks ago I noted my R implant to be softer/smaller than the L, especially in the upper. When I lean over & allow gravity I feel the intact implant on the L, whereas the right feels mushy. Ultrasound stated my R implant is 1/2 the size of the L. I consulted with a PS in Asia today who is only accustomed to silicone. I will return to USA for the procedure, however, should I return to my original surgeon? Is it surgeon error? Or is it likely a faulty product?

Leaking saline implant

Unfortunately the saline implants can slowly deflate over time.  It is not do to surgeon error in your particular case. The asymmetry of the breasts due to deflation is easily corrected by replacement of the implant. It is possible that scar tissue around the deflated implant may also have to be removed.  If you like the original surgeon, I would return to that provider as he or she has previous records  of the original surgery. Otherwise choose a board certified plastic surgeon for replacement of the implants. I would consider replacing with  saline or silicone implants.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Leaking saline implant

It is not surgeon error. Implants unfortunately do deflate. If you were happy with your original surgeon and result, then I would recommend you return to that surgeon. If not, then look for another board certified plastic surgeon, possibly in California as that is closer to your location now??

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Leaking implant

I'm sorry your implant appears to be leaking. This can happen over time with saline implants. Causes range from the shell becoming thin to the valve failing. Unfortunately its a man-made product and things like this can happen. If the implant was damaged by the surgeon, you would see problems right away. This is not the case, and simply an unfortunate problem that can happen with breast implants. Please see a plastic surgeon to see your options and have the implant replaced

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Implant leak after 5 years

As implants age, they get more brittle, and more likely to deflate.  There is about a 0.5% chance of deflation per year that you have had the implants - so 2.5% in your case.  It's not a surgeon error - if the surgeon had indeed damaged the implant at the time of surgery 5 years ago, you would have seen that right away.

It's just like any made man-made product - some will last longer than others.

Fortunately, your implant warranty will help you with the replacement costs.

Implant leak

Thank you for your question. Implant leak can happen after a while and it is not surgeons error at this time. You can see same or different surgeon depending on your choice

Leaking implant

This can happen and the older the implant the more likely it is that it can leak.This is not surgeon error

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Why are you blaming the original surgeon for an implant leak after 6 years??? If returning to USA see any boarded PS for replacement or exchanges. Should be covered by the implant company since less than 10 years from implant date..