Replacing an existing PFM crown on tooth #13 (my gums receded and the black metal is shown), for cosmetic purpose only, options?

What will be the best material to use for the new crown? Of course, I know that porcelain is the best (cosmetically, as this is a shown tooth), but I heard that if I have a metal post already there (which I do) the metal may show through the porcelain crown… Is this correct? If so, what will be the alternative (second best)? A Zirconia crown? A Porcelain Fused over Zirconia crown? (Is this even possible? Do these substances bond well together?). Maybe an eMax crown?

Dental crowns.

Crowns in the smile area may need a different approach. The margin of the crown can be made in porcelain so that no dark line shows. Another option it to make an all porcelain crown with no metal. 

Esthetic crown that can block out metal

Crowns are now being made out of all zirconia or with a zirconia core (instead of the metal) with traditional porcelain bonded over for esthetics.  Both of these types of crowns should be able to block out underlying discoloration.  The type of crown is going to depend on the space limitations along with the dentist's preference which they should be able to discuss with you.  I would return to your dentist and allow them to evaluate and help you determine what your best option would be.  Good luck

David M. Schertzer, DDS
Saint Louis Dentist

Crown material choices

Without a picture is is difficult to determine what is the best restorative material for your situation. Zirconia, porcelain fused to Zirconia and even Emax can all be used to block out a dark tooth. They are all excellent restorative materials and will create a crown that is strong and long lasting. I wouldn't get too hung up on what type of material is used as long as it gets the job done.