Questions about liposuction.

In the past i have gone to a few doctor patient consultations, and each doctors gave me different comments from the first consultation comparing to the third consultation? One doctor during a consultation told me if i am going to have lipo the entire procedure from beginning to completion might take 45 minutes to one hours? Another doctor during a consultation told me the entire surgery might take 2 hours plus, and the third doctor told me the lipo entire procedure might take 1 hours 20 minutes?

Questions about liposuction

Hi. How many areas are you speaking of?? This will make a difference in the amount of time it will take. Understand the following. All liposuction (SAL, PAL, UAL, LAL)  requires tumescent fluid to be injected into the fat to facilitate extraction. This fluid contains a substance that is called epinephrine. Epinephrine shrinks down the blood vessels so as to minimize the amount of blood loss and the post-op bruising. IMHO once you inject the fluid, the surgeon should wait a minimum of 20 minutes to get the maximum effect of the epinephrine. Unfortunately, many surgeons don't.. If lipo is carried out of the flanks, waist and back, I will place the patient on their side and therefore re-positioning takes time. We all have our particular ways and routines. So you see the answer to your question is not straight forward. Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in liposuction . Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?  How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so. How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications. In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. We accomodate patinets from as far away as California. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up. Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck, Dr. PG

Liposuction length of surgery

There are a number of things that affect length of surgery for liposuction procedures.  All things being equal, the greater the volume the greater the length of the surgery.  There are other factors however; the area being treated can affect the length of the operation in particular if the patient needs to be turned on the operating table.   For example, most patients requiring narrow waistlines need to be turned in order to get to the lower back and flank areas.  I occasionally perform liposuctions that are completed in 39 to 40 minutes and sometimes I perform liposuction cases that take over 3 hours!  It all depends on what areas you're contouring and how much volume you're removing.  Also take into account that you're in the operating room under anesthesia for about half an hour longer than the surgeon is actually operating, since there are preparations that have to be performed to create a sterile field where we operate and when surgery is over we have to clean the area and place a garment ect..  It's hard to perform meaningful body contouring with liposuction in less than an hour except for small volumes without turning the patient.  Always consider a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in liposuction.

Questions about liposuction.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

a vaser contouring procedures with fat removal skin tightening and cellulite reduction takes much more than 45 mins to a single area. I suggest you trust your physicians and those that know your ultimate goals.  Please see a 4D contouring physician who is well trained.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lipo time varies based on treatment areas, technology, time frame

Thanks for your question. All three of those time estimates are reasonable. Each surgeon may be including different things in their time frame (i.e. time you enter the practice vs. point at which anesthesia is administered). Once you choose a specific plastic surgeon, I'd ask him or her what is included in their time estimate. Consult with an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck

Adam L. Basner, MD

Questions

You did not ask a question, so I cannot answer it. However, the speed of liposuction depends upon the number of areas treated, the type of anesthesia, and the doctor's speed of surgery.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Questions about liposuction.

Thank you for your excellent question.  Your quoted time of surgery can be based on a number of different factors which are leading to the different time points you reference.  Some physicians will quote you only the time that they will be physically operating, some will quote the time from when you walk into the OR to when you are wheeled out, and some will quote only the time you are under anesthesia.  I would ask your consultants what they were including in their time estimates to have a better idea.  Hope this helps.

Surgery times

These are all reasonable. It also depends on how they define it. Some mean from the time you enter the operating room to leaving, some mean from the start of anesthesia to the finish, some mean from the start of the actual procedure to the end of the procedure.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Questions about Liposuction

Different surgeons work at different speeds and there are also many different tools on the market used for Liposuction. Some may just be faster than others. It would help to know what areas you are even talking about having treated. Make sure you are consulting with board certified plastic surgeons for this procedure. Best of luck.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon