Question about swelling after liposuction; will the pain be very noticeable?

Lets say while i was going through the anesthesia i would not feel the moving of the cannula or surgical instruments being used on my body, but after the anesthesia wears off, and the procedure is over that is when the pain will be very noticeable? Also, lets say somebody hugs me while i was still swollen it could be the next day or a week, or weeks later would i be hurting from someone just hugging me?

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling/Pain -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

In my practice most of my patients have very little pain 1 week after following my liposuction post-op protocol including Venus Legacy treatments, massage, hyperbaric oxygen and compression. It is important to follow up with your physician for all of your post-operative concerns. Best, Dr. Emer.

Pain is a very subjective, personal phenomena. Each person has their own tolerances. ain after liposuction usual only 1 week. swelling could take weeks to subside, again each person degree of healing is different.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Swelling after liposuction; will the pain be very noticeable?

HelloThank you for sharing your concerns
Actually the pain will depend of the person its very individual and it may go from just 5 days to weeks but always decreasing, if you notice soreness more than usual or swelling that does not go away, maybe you should go see your surgeon for further evaluation and treatment.

Disnalda Matos, MD

Liposuction - how bad is the pain?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • After liposuction, most people have severe soreness or pain for 3 - 5 days.
  • You may still be sensitive for weeks after that - it varies but do not be surprised if you are sore for 2 - 4 weeks or even longer,. This is usually not severe.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction pain

As a plastic surgeon and a liposuction patient, I can tell you the pain is tolerable. It is similar  to doing an extra hard workout at the gym. The pain medication controls the discomfort and the garment holds you tight so you won't hurt as your body moves around. Well worth doing.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon