Are there any precautionary measures I can take before my breast lift with aug. to avoid getting hypertrophic scars? (Photo)

After two c-sections (most recent being May 2015), I developed hypertropic scars. I'm terrified with the thought that my scars will do the same due to my lift. Is there anything I can do now to help decrease the chances of this reoccurring on my breast? I also had a bunion removed when I was 21 years old (15 years ago) and the scar is beautiful. Not sure if my age or the area what the surgery was has anything to do with that. Please help!

Avoiding Hy

I can totally understand your concern about getting hypertrophic scarring given what happened to your c-section scar.  Unfortunately there is nothing you can do now to help decrease the chances of hypertrophic scar formation.  So why did you form the hypertrophic scar after your c-section?  Generally speaking there is no uniformly accepted reason why hypertrophic scars form.  Several proposed causes however, do have one thing in common and that is inflammation.  Tension is another significant factor which is attributed to hypertrophic scarring.  If the cause for the hypertrophic scarring to your c-section can be determined, then maybe something can be done to avoid it in the future.  Also, post-operative scar management can make a big difference with how scars mature and there are several treatment modalities that can help.  Again, it's not a simple answer and you should have a full discussion about your scarring with your surgeon and possibly get a second opinion (hopefully with a board certified plastic surgeon if you are not seeing one).  Best wishes to you.  Dr. Jaime Bastidas

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Are there any precautionary measures I can take before my breast lift with aug. to avoid getting hypertrophic scars?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures. At the first 3 to 5 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

You have 2 issues.

#1 Scars - Are you a scar former? If you think yes than inform your chosen PS so he/she can suture with better materials and techniques. Than after surgery and full head incisions start scar therapy.

#2 Wrong lift decision - In my over the internet opinion you are choosing the lift that will not give you a uplift.