Post op 10 days and still bleeding, is this normal? (Photo)

So I had a labiaplasty 10 days ago and continue to bleed. Not an exssesive amount of blood, but enough to have to put a towel on my bed (not wearing underwear) and when I pee and I tap down, because I still can not wipe I see the blood. Is it normal to still be bleeding? I haven't done anything straining on my body, still haven't even really walked. I still can't sit correctly I don't know how much longer I'm going to have to rest. I need to return to work.

Bleeding after labiaplasty

can occur and if its more like spotting rather than frank bleeding, it would be normal and presumed from an exposed edge along your incision and it will heal with good wound care.  If you're dripping or gushing, you should see your surgeon for an exam and further management.

Normal post-op?

It appears that you may have had a hematoma (collection of blood under the skin) on left side. This can happen after any surgery and is typically self-limiting, however if you continue to bleed you should definitely consult your surgeon and have them evaluate the area.

Robert D. Moore, DO
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Postop bleeding

dear mama 28

Your pictures look absolutely normal.  I  notice you have some black and blue areas but this is not unusual. The surgical repair looks good and theist op pictures normal. It is not unusual to see some bloody discharge at this point after surgery.  Swelling will cause discomfort and this will all go away with time.  Good luck

John R Miklos 

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills  ~ Dubai

Labiaplasty recovery question: light bleeding 10 days post-op

From what I see, healing appears to be normal. Sometimes a small amount of blood sequestered under the skin releases as healing progresses. BUT WHY PUT NEOSPORIN on it?  Best to leave it alone, not "handle" it. Also: you should be asking this question to your surgeon. (S)he's the one who knows most about you & has the responsibility for your post-op repair. Do not substitute our opinions for a visit to your doc!  The weblink below bay help you...

Michael P Goodman MD

Bleeding following Labia Reduction

Thanks for your photos. It looks like you had a small hematoma on the left side which is self-resolving. As the clotted blood liquefies you will experience the bleeding. This type of bleeding is a good thing since it will minimize the chance of an infection and decrease your discomfort. You should notify your surgeon and schedule an examination.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Bleeding after labiaplasty

It can be normal to have some slight bleeding after labiaplasty. It appears you had a linear excision technique and this can indeed ooze for a few weeks. Ultimately the bleeding will stop and the area will heal. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Is bleeding at 10 days post-op normal?

Dear Amama28,

Thank you for writing in with your concerns.  This is not a usual occurrence after labiaplasty but you do have a hematoma (blood clot) due to a small vessel that is oozing under the skin and leaking out of your incision.  Please call your surgeon to be seen right away for evaluation.  Comfort measures can include ice, extra strength Tylenol (avoid ibuprofen as it can increase bleeding), gentle pressure, and continuing to stay off your feet as  much as possible.  Have your doctor write you a work excuse.  It will probably be another week before you will start feeling better.

I hope this information is helpful and you feel better soon.

Dr. Troy Robbin Hailparn

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

You have a superficial hematoma

Bleeding immediately beneath the surface is tracking partially into the subcutaneous level of the labia majora causing bruising and the remainder is leaking out slowly through the skin. If it were deeper, or not draining, there would be swelling and pain. Nonetheless, this can easily be remedied quickly by your surgeon in the office and should not damage your scars.

This wouldn't be normal for my patients

This wouldn't be normal for my patients, but i don't do the trim method like you had performed. It's really simple what you need to do. Call your doctor. It's never a "bother" when a patient has a problem and most doctors want to know that you're OK. Probably what has happened is that there is a small opening somewhere along the long trim method incision line that did not completely close, OR there is a small blood vessel on the edge of the trim that did not get cauterized. There will probably be nothing to do and it should stop on its own, but sometimes a small amount of cautery or silver nitrate can be applied in the clinic. Pick up the tele and make a call so that you can be taken care of!