I'm planning on having lipo on my upper and lower abdomen. Will that also decrease the appearance of my stretch marks? (photos)

I gave birth to twins boys, carried for 40weeks, so my stomach stretched considerably. They have lightened but b/c i havent seen any pics of ladies witj stretch marks im curious.

Skin will contract with superficial liposuction done correctly..

Liposuction is an option for you. Your abdominal muscles appear strong in the photographs so I don't think muscle tightening is a requirement. Because of this I think you have an option for liposuction.
When you do superficial liposuction the skin will contract, it's not a question of if it's a question of how much. As a skin contracts with the stretch marks will decrease to some degree and generally look better.  The stretch marks are a tear in the dermis and will never go away but the skin can still contract.
If you do not like the long scar of abdominoplasty can accept the stretch marks then the liposuction is a better surgery for you. If you can accept the stretch marks and would prefer the scar of an abdominal stretch marks in the abdominoplasty may be the procedure for you.
The best thing for you to do would be to look at before and after pictures of liposuction patients with stretch marks to see if this is a look at you like and then you can make a decision about what procedure would make you the happiest.

Stretch Marks and Liposuction

My first thought after looking at your images is that Liposuction would be a complete waste of money to treat the problem of your tummy bulge. It will leave you with far more excess skin and more laxity than you already have.

Also the only way you will be able to remove some of your stretch marks would be to undergo an abdominoplasty which can then surgically remove a significant amount. Alongside the tummy tuck l would also perform liposuction to sculpt the area around your hips and upper abdo.

Please ensure you are consulting with highly skilled plastic surgeons and carefully read the answers of the other surgeons who have already responded to you. They have a wealth of knowledge.

Benjamin Norris, MbCHb, FRACS(Plast)
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for stretch marks

I am sorry but liposuction will definitely not improve or remove the stretch marks.

I do not know who has recommended liposuction to you but I believe you will be very disappointed.
It will make the skin looser, it will not make the tummy flat.

Your photos show excess skin which has lost its elasticity, widened tummy muscles and excess fat on the sides and upper abdomen. You look as though the best operation for you is a tummy tuck because it does this:
  • removes the excess skin in the lower abdomen - along with its stretch marks,
  • Tightens the muscles so your stomach is flatter
  • Removes fat from the sides and upper abdomen  to give you a nicer shape.
With so many Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in Miami, it makes sense to get a second opinion. Best wishes.

Lipo doesn't fix stretch marks

Hi.  In general, lipo doesn't do a darned thing for stretch marks.  Superficial lipo, as has been recommended, is less unpredictable, and studies show that it can have a higher complication rate and irregular skin contours.

Based on your photos, I would suggest that you instead consider a tummy tuck - to tighten the skin, remove the stretch marks below the belly button, and firm the abdominal muscle layer.  This could be combined with liposuction of the flank / waist area to help give you a pretty hourglass shape.

Tummy Tuck Mores Suitable

If you have strong ab muscles and good skin elasticity, along with excess subcutaneous fat, then liposuction may be right for you. However, looking at your photos, you'd probably benefit more from a tummy tuck. This is because it appears you have excess skin which will only become more apparent with lipo alone.  

Lipo and stretch marks

Thanks for your question. Liposuction will most likely not improve the appearance of your stretch marks, but will improve your body contour. I would advise you to get a consultation with a board certified PS, who after an in person examination, will be better qualified to discuss treatment options. Good luck.

Richard Wilson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

No Lipo

Hello.  Thank you for your question.  Generally speaking, Liposuction is great for removing fat volume but will not do anything to tighten skin that has already lost it's elasticity, which yours has.  Your stretch marks will also not go away with lipo alone.  They will, however, be removed as much as they can if you have an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).  At this time, you can also have lipsuction to contour your (flanks) sides as well as the abdomen.  Please see a few board certified plastic surgeons in your area.  Best of Luck to you.  I think you will have great results!

Stretch marks

Liposuction generally does not improve stretch marks due to poor elasticity of the skin. In fact, the stretch marks may look worse after liposuction.

Stretch marks

No. Liposuction rarely has any psitive effect on the quality of the superficialskin. In fact, because of the varying degree of elasticity present in the skin, itcan make the QUALITY of the skin itself appear worse while the overall contour is improved. There really is no effective treatment for stretch marks other than to remove the affected skin - such as a tummy tuck.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Lipo - impact on stretch marks

The usual answer is that patients with stretch marks have a different skin quality and liposuction will not contract the skin enough to compensate for that.  Since you had twins, your muscles may need to be tightened to give your torso the shape you desire and the combination of muscle work and getting rid of your stretch marks is probably better done with a tummy tuck with liposuction of the sides and not with liposuction alone.  
Be realistic with your expectations of what liposuction can do for you.  Best Wishes!!