Is it possible to place implant under muscle, when you go through the areola?

Possible to Place Implant Under the Muscle with Peri-areolar Incision?

Yes it is possible to place an implant under the muscle through an areolar incision, but when this incision is used, the dissection goes straight down through the breast tissue before the muscle is reached. Breast tissue frequently contains bacteria and when the implant is placed, it is dragged through this bacterial containing tissue. This is at least part of the reason why an areolar incision is clearly associated with a higher incidence of capsular contracture. Given this, and some of the other negatives of somewhat higher risk of losing nipple sensation and elevated risk of losing the ability to breast feed, the areolar incision is being increasingly less used by most surgeons. 

Incisions for breast augmentation

First - yes it is certainly possible to place your implants under the muscle through a peri-areolar incision.  However, there are some drawbacks to using this incision, as there are with all of the other approaches.  I would suggest choosing your doctor based on his results, reviews, etc.  and then asking him which incision he is most comfortable using - this will give you the best chance of getting a great result.

Hello dear, I recommend you to get a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine how your surgery is going to be performed, a doctor have to check you first

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Peri areloar incision

Yes this can be done but it would not be a recommended approach from my standpoint since the nipple area has a lot of bacteria.Inframmamry is my preference.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Yes, in fact it is the most common way to place implants in what's called the dual plane, partially under the muscle and partially under the gland. 

An approach thru the pigment can be used in both pockets. A sub pectoral pocket  works excellent when using saline implants and smaller silicone implants. Implants that are too large can weaken the support and lead to more surgery.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Areola incision and under the muscle

It is certainly possible to place implants through an areola incision and under the muscle for the right patient. Best of luck.

Is it possible to place an implant under muscle, when you go through the areola?

Yes ,in fact it is my  preferred incision.

I prefer sub-fascial placement of the implant

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Can an implant be placed through the areola?

You can place a breast implant through the areola and place the implant subpectorally if the areola is large enough.  I have done this procedure for years with excellent results.  Today, however, I would offer my patientst the better option of performing the operation through a safer, less potentially infective inframammary incision. Always ask your Plastic Surgeon to discuss these options with you before you make a decision.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant under the muscle

Yes, it is possible to place implants beneath the muscle when you access the breast through the areola.