What is painful about Tummy Tuck? And what is the recovery time for a Tummy Tuck?

Tummy tuck post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

At the beginning the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Healing after a tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.With tummy tuck most of the pain after surgery comes from the abdominal wall tightening but is also well controlled with medication. Healing is usually pretty straight forward.  There is a process of swelling and bruising that peaks at 3 days after surgery and then undergoes the first stage of major resolution in the first 2 weeks after surgery.  The lateer phase of healing takes place over the 2-3 months after surgery where everything really settles and softens.  It is after this time that we are getting close to the final result, though this varies patient to patient. 

Tummy tuck

The pain associated with a TT us typically related to plication of the rectus muscles. If you do not need this maneuver performed during the surgery the pain will be far less. If you do require this, your surgeon can infiltrate long acting local anesthetics to assist with the pain. Typical recovery time is 4-6 weeks until you will be back to full speed again. 

TT

Tummy tucks that involve plication of the rectus muscle fascia due to diastasis can be more painful.  You typically would need 2 weeks recovery before returning to clerical work duties.  Best wishes, Dr T.

Is tummy tuck painful?

Thanks for posting.    I continue to be amazed at the stories I hear regarding pain after tummy tuck.  While I can not speak for other doctors,  my patients RARELY take a single narcotic pain pill after tuck.  At the end of your procedure, long acting numbing medicine is injected, and you are give a dose of non narcotic pain medicine--all before you wake up.  The MAJORITY of patients wake up with little or no pain, which I think is key to not ever having significant pain.  If patients comment on any discomfort, they will mention their waist/back being sore from supplemental lipo of the waist--NOT the tuck!!  We have many,many patient references to provide.  Please see attached web reference.  Good luck!

Pain is a subjective personal issue to each patient. Most TT recover in 3 weeks Best to discuss with your previous boarded PS in Miami or seek other opinions.