Nose swells after eating and in the morning post 4 weeks after broken nose, will it end?

I recently broke my nose about a month ago. After the swelling went down, my nose will continue to swell in the mornings and after big meals. Will it end?

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Why should I get a Rhinoplasty operation?

If you are unhappy with the look of your nose, you think that you would be much happier after a rhinoplasty operation; if you had an accident and the shape of your nose got worsened after this accident; then you can be a good candidate for rhinoplasty operation. It is a well-known fact that individuals with feeling themselves beautiful have higher self-esteem. Therefore; if the look or functionality of your nose bothers you, you can get benefit from a rhinoplasty operation.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Swelling after Fracture

Dear User116, 

Swelling after trauma to the nose can last up to a year after the initial injury. Hopefully you will see improvement sooner than that. Swelling can occur after an increase in activity (such as chewing during a large meal), and when your head is dependent to the rest of your body (such as when you are sleeping). I would advise you to cut your food into small, easy to chew pieces to minimize the movement of the nose and to sleep with your head elevated to a 45 degree angle or higher. This should help with some of the swelling. It will improve, it just takes time. Good luck!

Nose swelling after trauma

When you sleep all body fluids gently shift toward your head.  To minimize this try sleeping with your head elevated.  It can take as long as 6 months for soft tissues of the nose to stabilize after trauma.  Eventually you will stop swelling.

Broken nose and swelling

It will! Unfortunately after any trauma, the way that the body responds is by swelling - this is secondary to blood vessels opening and trying to bring as many healing factors to the area (in simple terms).  Swelling goes away by decreasing the stress on that area.  This allows for it to naturally go down.  Part of the reason why "rest" is what helps when we get a muscle injury.  Unfortunately there are a lot of muscles of facial expression that connect to the face.  Everytime we eat, we smile, we talk, the nose slightly shifts.  This is what prolongs swelling both after incidental trauma (such as in your case) as well as after surgical trauma (such as with surgery).  It usually takes 2-3 months to settle down.  The best thing you can do is to keep your head above the level of your heart while you sleep as well as avoiding big salty meals.  Best of luck.  I hope some of this helps. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon