Is this normal? (Photo)

I had my surgery scheduled for December but I got my implants last Friday. I know that the implants take time to settle. However I'm concerned because it's been almost a week and I'm still very uncomfortable. No pain after the third day but I am experiencing EXTREME tightness to the point that I can not stand up straight because I feel as they are going to pop. I got 500ccs sub musc, how long before they look normal (from your experience more or less)? Thank you for your time and help!

Pain after breast augmentation

Thanks for your question.  An significant concerns should certainly be relayed to your surgeon.  That is a bit more bruising that might normally be expected.  I would be sure to have that evaluated to make sure your surgeon isn't worried about a hematoma which could explain worsening pain.  Otherwise, pain and tightness this early in recovery is expected.  If your surgeon is not concerned about a hematoma, you should expect the pain, swelling, and bruising to gradually resolve.  The final result cannot be assessed until 3-6 months postoperatively.  Good luck!

"Normal" recovery after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  You can expect a lot of tightness in your chest after breast augmentation.  But you shouldn't be in constant agony at all.  Check the medication instructions from your surgeon's office to be sure you're taking your pain medications as she wants you to take them.  Ask your surgeon if you can take ibuprofen in addition to the pain medications, and how to do this and how much to take, if it's okay with your surgeon.  Ask your surgeon about a muscle relaxer (I give my patients robaxin).  Ask your surgeon about gentle arm movements (overhead) to gently stretch the chest muscles.  Hang in there--it all gets better:)

Carmen Kavali, MD

Is this normal

Thank you for submitting your question. You are very early in your recovery from breast augmentation surgery.  Final results take 6 months. The brusiing and pain is more then usual.  Discuss your concerns and have an examination by your surgeon. Best wishes

Is this normal?

I'm sorry to hear about the uncomfortable experience. Given the degree of bruising and your description of discomfort, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment to rule out complications. Best wishes.

Healing after breast augmentation

Hello, some swelling and bruising are common after the operation but there appears to be significant bruising on both sides.  It is important to have in-person assessments from your own surgeon to determine whether you are healing normally.  It can take months for implants to settle into their final position.

Healing after breast augmentation

It looks like there are a number of things to address here.  First 500 cc is a VERY large implant to start with given your pre-operative photos.  Since they are so big, it is not unusual to have them riding high and feeling tight for a few weeks after surgery. 

More importantly, you seem to have an abnormal amount of bruising on both sides.  Most patients after breast augmentation should have little to no bruising at all.  Make sure that you are seen by your surgeon, at this point you should have been seen at least once and preferably twice.  There may have been some internal bleeding and this will need to be addressed.

I routinely have my patients begin massaging their implants at 1 week to help them settle - but each surgeon is different.

Post op hematoma

You need to be examined by your surgeon ASAP.
You may have a post op hematoma causing the discomfort. 
The treatment for this is usually evacuation of the hematoma.

Is this normal?

Appears as you are slightly high riding effect due to muscle tightness. Why has NOT your chosen operative surgeon explained post healing phases to you? In general terms the implants start to descend over the next few weeks. But post op exercises are a must. Plus I see ecchymosis (black & blue) laterally, has this been seen by your surgeon? 

Pain one week post op

After looking at your phots and base on your comments one has to wonder if you have a hematoma on one or both sides.I would have your surgeon check this out.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Is this normal?

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz