Is it normal to still be experiencing pain from a breast augmentation exactly 1 week post op? (Photo)

I am still experiencing a lot of pain 1 week post of . I've been wearing a implantstabilizer band for 5 days & it still hurts when I wear it. I feel like most girls pain subsides around their 1 week mark. I was a very small 34A and recieved 400 cc's HP natrelle Silicone gel implants.

Post surgical breast enlargement pain varies in duration and severity

Greetings, Pain after breast implants can vary in degree and duration from patient to patient. There is no substitute for a re-evaluation by your plastic surgeon.  Most often the pain will decrease as your swelling resolves and your ability to move your arms improves. Pain with implants under the muscle or with breast implant revision surgery can be more prolonged. Once again, you should check with your surgeon for suggestions to ease your post-op course.  Best Regards,

Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Pain After Surgery

Good Question! Yes many girls still have a lot of pain a week after surgery! You are stretched like you never have been- which causes your nerves go a little crazy. Continue massaging your breasts- this will help your nerves wake up. You look great a week out. Every week you will get softer and less pain! Good luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Is it normal to still be experiencing pain from a breast augmentation exactly 1 week post op

It is not uncommon to have pain at this time after a breast augmentation. Going under muscle hurts longer and also the larger the implant, in general, the longer the pain lasts. You have to give it some more time.

Julio Garcia, MD

Any concerns after surgery you should see your surgeon

• Pain after surgery can be perfectly normal or may suggest their is a problem.  Have your surgeon assess you to give you piece of mind.
  • Dr Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville.  He is the Director of the Cosmetic Surgery Training Program and an Assistant Clinical Professor at McMaster University.  He strives to provide the best possible plastic surgery results and excellent care to patients from the GTA including Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Georgetown, Milton, Burlington and Hamilton.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Breast Augmentation

It would be very common ti still gave some pain just one week after surgery. It is important to remember that breast augmentation is a major injury to the chest muscles where they are partially lifted off the ribs. It could easily take 3 or 4 weeks until you become completely pain free.

Is it normal to still be experiencing pain from a breast augmentation exactly 1 week post op?

First ALWAYS best to FIRST call and see your chosen surgeon..Second pain is a very subjective phenomena each person has their own degrees of pain. In my 38 years of practice I have seen implant patents with only 3 days of pain and others with 3 months. At 1 week you are on track as an average patient. BUT again go see you surgeon in person tomorrow...

1 week post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. Its normal to have pain and swelling at this time of your post op. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Early Pain After Breast Augment

From your description, you were quite small breasted with tight skin and then received very large implants.  Just think of all the stretching and tension on both your chest muscles and skin due to the implants pushing outward!  You will definitely experience more pain and for a longer time than someone who started with looser skin and/or had smaller implants than yours.  That said, you want to make sure you haven't developed a fluid collection around the implant, such as a hematoma, which could add more tightness and cause more pain.  Discuss this with your surgeon.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Pain from a breast augmentation exactly 1 week post op?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. The recovery experience definitely varies from one patient to another;  it is not unusual for patients to have continued discomfort at this point.   Of course, your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and meaningful reassurance.

It is likely due to musculoskeletal strain and/or irritation of nerves after the body altering surgery.   It tends to happen periodically and is self resolving.  It can be related to positional changes, over activity, or may occur without provocation at rest.

Occasionally anti-inflammatories may be helpful (check with your plastic surgeon).   Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with long-term.