I just had Breast Augmentation and noticed these blisters. Is this normal and what it is? (photo)

Blisters after breast augmentation.

Thank you for your picture. This is not normal. This may be due to tape or some type of friction injury at the time of surgery. This blister needs to be ruptured and treated conservatively with local dressings to allow for healing.

Blisters after breast augmentation.

Judging by your photographs it appears that you have blisters secondary to the tape used postoperatively.  It will be very important to keep this area clean to prevent any infection.  If you take good care of this area and prevent an infection and should heal uneventfully.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

I would agree that the blisters look like a result of the clear tape used to hold the dressing on.  Go see your surgeon!!

Wesley G. Wilson, MD

I just had Breast Augmentation and noticed these blisters. Is this normal and what it is

Call your PS ASAP!!! These could be serious. Best to be seen by your surgeon. Appear as second degree burns that need care... 

I just had Breast Augmentation and noticed these blisters. Is this normal and what it is?

Looks very much like a contact reaction or sheering from adhesive/tape.  Fortunately this doesn't happen often but does occur from time to time.  Make sure you alert your surgeon--they will likely want you to come in for a quick evaluation and removal of any remaining adhesive/tape.  Rest assured that although you will have some pink skin underneath the blister for a bit, these typically heal without any scarring with time.  Don't pop any blisters until you speak with you surgeon however and make sure if they prescribed any antibiotics to you that you continue to take them.

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

These are due to swelling and the tape blistering the skin. Have your surgeon evaluate and treat. Should heal fine without scarring. Good luck. Donald R. Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Allergic reaction to tape adhesives can cause blisters after breast augmentation.

It looks as though the blisters have been created by sensitivity to take. This is something to report to your surgeon. It would heal with modest one care.

They look like tape (traction) blisters. Sometimes it is direct reaction to the tspe itself, other times it is because the tape holds the skin, the breast swells and the top layers of skin shear from the forces of the swelling and cause a blister. Leave them intact and discuss with your surgeon.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Blisters after breast augmentation

The blister are most likely due to the Tegaderm (clear occlusive dressing placed over the breast).  This dressing does not give very much and as the breast swells postoperatively, blisters may develop from the shear force on the skin.  Such blisters are usually superficial and heal with local wound care, but best to see your surgeon.

Tracey H. Stokes, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon