Would my bulbous nose make me an ideal candidate for Rhinoplasty? (photos)

Wondering how invasive the surgery might be, also what could be done to make it look better? Do any surgeons specialize specifically in doing bulbous type noses?

Would my bulbous nose make me an ideal candidate for Rhinoplasty?

Hello! Thank you for the question and photos. I believe that a rhinoplasty would certainly be a nice option for you in order to meet your goals and give better harmony to your face. The middle third of your face is dominated by your nose and some refinements made to create an aesthetically-pleasing nose for you and accentuate your periorbital region and cheeks/eyes.

Without an examination, it is difficult to give recommendations. However, refinement of the nasal tip and dorsum of your nose are techniques that I would suggest, given your photos. Working on the tip of your nose would be most suited to meeting your desires and creating an appearance that you describe. Shortening of your nose with upturning of the tip would also improve the appearance and likely meet your goals. While all facial procedures are technically challenging as small changes make big differences, it is certainly procedures that are reasonably performed with excellent results. Consultation with a board-certified plastic and facial surgeon well-versed in rhinoplasty is recommended. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Hi and thanks for your question. A rhinoplasty would be of great benefit at refining your tip. I personally do not routinely use of cartilage grafts. Throughout 29 years of private practice in the Miami area, I have been exposed to many previous rhinoplasty patients done elsewhere. Many tip cartilages have shifted with the years and the tip frequently assumes an odd shape. Whether or not more work would be required is impossible to say from the photos you submitted. The tip of the nose is comprised of the inner lining called the mucosa, cartilage and skin. Sometimes, the skin contains an increased amount of sebaceous glands making it more difficult to obtain a more defined tip. The analogy that I make is the following. Suppose you have a beautiful sculpture and you cover it up with silk. It is very possible that you will be able to view the contours of the underlying structure much better than if it were to be covered by a blanket.

We are located in the same city and I would encourage you to come by and pay us a visit. Our consults are complimentary and the evaluation is made by me and no one else. I am the only surgeon operating at the institute. One of my emplyees had a nose that might have been cloned from you. I want you to be able to speak to someone who's had a similar tip problem. I don;t think that you will find any surgon that specializes in bulbous noses. A well trained rhinoplasty surgeon will approach every nose differently.

I encourage you to look up the surgeon you eventually select and make sure they have years of experience in performing rhinoplasties. Furthermore, request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally (USA) recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthsiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

I wish you the best on your journey. I hope that the info provided has been helpful. Should you require any further clarification, do not hesitate to contact our institute. We are one of only a few in South Florida that employ a web based program called TouchMD. Through this program potential patients from as far away as California can upload their photos. I then review each and everyone and draw my recommendations on your actual picture. This info is made available to you with the use of a private password that only you will have. TouchMD is private and follows all applicable privacy laws (HIPPA). I answer all questions personally, not through patient coordinators or other marketing individuals. Good Luck

The areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with a rhinoplasty.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on limited two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist)  who has extensive experience in performing cosmetic nasal surgery that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Bulbous tip

I have done 4000 rhinoplasties over the past 25 years and many have been for "bulbous " tip concerns. All my rhinoplasties are now done with oral sedation and local anesthesia in the office operating room. In your case this would be the method of choice because from your photos it appears you would get a nice "natural" looking result without the need for osteotomuies (nasal bone breaking) 

Rhinoplasty for Bulbous Nose

Based on the photos you've provided, you would make a very good candidate for rhinoplasty. The procedure can allow you to refine the tip your nose to a more ideal shape. Good luck with your procedure!

Carlo P. Honrado, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty for a bulbous nose

Dear lagirl92,

• You would be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty, and those full lips would make for a nice result
  • Seek out a rhinoplasty specialist who can address your concerns and answer all of your questions

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Limited Rhinoplasty to Reduce Bulbous Tip

The tip can be contoured without touching the bridge. I don't know if this is what I would recommend for you because I can't see the rest of your nose.

Yes, you're a very good candidate. To address the bulbous tip specifically requires a skilled and experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to perform this procedure. It is a very unique and challenging surgery-- only in the right hands you can expect good outcome. 

Yes a rhinoplasty would improve the appearance. Best to see a few boarded surgeons in MIAMI - IN PERSON... 

The tip can certainly be refined through a closed rhinoplasty approach.