Want a mommy makeover in Colombia.

I live in the states and I was wondering if I get any financial benefits for having dual citizenship in Colombia. Or can I apply for financing there. And I still haven't found a doctor because I don't know the procedures of setting that up from the U.S. Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Dr. Derby Sang

i suggest you to contact a board certified PS in the area you want your procedure to be done and go over all your concerns, i can assure you they will help you.

best of luck  

Traveling from the U.S. to Colombia for a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measure. 

Therefore, it may be in your best interest to not #travel out of the country for such procedures. Unless, you know the doctor or facility where the procedures take place well or have a previous experience with them, there is an increased chance of problems, #complications, or #emergencies which may lack the necessary attention as you would acquire easier within the United States. 

Mommy makeover in Colombia

Thank you for your question. Mommy makeovers involve various combinations of proceudres to improve the breasts, abdomen, hips, back, arms, legs, buttocks, etc after childbirth. Combination procedures are safe and very effective in the right hands.  The surgeon HAS to be an expert in EACH procedure and must have a lot of experience in performing combination procedures and can minimize the operative time.  For example, we work in a team and would take around 4-5 hours for the complete operation.  This allows us to get better results with less surgical time and less trauma.  Our patients are typically wlking the same day and tapering off of pain medications by 4-5 days.  By a week, our internattional patients are generally touring around Cartagena enjoying the  sites of this UNSECO World Heritage City.  Patients progress to unrestricted activities by 2 months, just as the final results are settling in. Surgery overseas can be an excellent option for results, experience, and value. That said, you definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. In addition to finding the right surgeon you should look into the hospital and the rest of the medical team. Is the hospital accredited? Do they have modern facilities and supplies? Are the anesthesiologists licensed and accredited? Do they speak English well enough for you to communicate your concerns and needs?   Cosmetic surgery in Colombia represents an increasingly attractive option for consumers looking for the ultimate combination of quality, price, availability, service, enjoyment, and value. Prices for plastic surgery procedures can be very affordable, and often 30-50% less than in the United States and Europe. When done with a board certified surgeon, patients can save thousands of dollars on cosmetic procedures while providing all of the safety and quality that they would receive in top U.S. and European centers.  Numerous factors help providers in medical tourist destinations reduce the costs of treatment. These include lower employee costs, less cost associated with malpractice litigation and insurance, decreased overhead and facility fees, and limited involvement of third party payers. These care alternatives can encompass a mini-vacation as well, and the superior value to healthcare consumers. The overall price is remarkably lower for a variety of cosmetic plastic surgery procedures in Colombia, even after including airfare, accommodation in a resort hotel, and 24-hour personal service. 

That said, you definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Please don't settle for less than a Board Certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  I hope this was helpful. Thank you and best of luck!

Surgery in Columbia

Assuming you have an excellent surgeon (and there are may in most countries including Columbia), there are still problems with going out of the country for this type of procedure:

1) It's hard or impossible to check the credentials and safety of the facility you will have your operation

2) There is little or no legal protection for you as malpractice law does not exist in the way it does in the states

3) Your followup care beyond 2 weeks or however long you stay down there will be limited and you may well need your surgeon to see you after 2 weeks.  Finding a local plastic surgeon to take on your case may be difficult.

4) Your health insurance may or may not help you if you experience a complication overseas.

5) Breast implants by the major US manufacturers have an excellent replacement warranty. Those warranties are void if implants are placed outside of the U.S.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Want a mommy makeover in Colombia.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Mommy Makeover and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely. 

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote possible. Please be mindful that the in person physical exam is the most important and could potentially alter your treatment plan.

Be very careful not to be tricked by gimmicks and do your research. Plan to have a responsible caregiver. If you are traveling by yourself then call ahead and get recommendations from your surgeons office about places to stay and reliable post operative caregivers that they have used before. It is also a good idea to inquire about purchasing cosmetic insurance that will cover complications that could occur within 30 days after surgery. Complications  that are associate with the cosmetic procedure are usually not covered by your regular health insurance.

Finding a plastic surgeon in Colombia

Thank you for asking about your having cosmetic surgery in Colombia.

You need to contact the Embassy of Colombia in Washington, DC for the answers to your questions. It is risky and potentially very dangerous to have major surgery with a surgeon you have never met in a country where you do not live.  In Miami, you have excellent surgeons and surgery centers. There is no need to travel.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Mommy Makeover - Finding A Surgeon? Travel Abroad?

Thank you for your question. Finding the proper surgeon nd having the procedure performed in a properly accredited facility is critical to the success of your mommy makeover. You need to find a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who specializes in cosmetic breast procedures. The ASPS website will provide a list of properly trained surgeons in your area. The anesthesiologist should also be board certified. This is not always the case outside of the United States. Hope this helps.

Cosmetic Tourism

I have cared for too many serious complications from women traveling abroad to third world countries for their cosmetic surgery to recommend it. Try to locate a board certified plastic surgeon in Miami that fits your budget, it may cost a bit more, but in the long run, well worth it! Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Mommy makeover in Colombia

if you live in the USA you should have your surgery in the USA. If you have a complication post op you will have to go back to Colombia for management since that is where your surgeon is. I strongly recommend that you find a board certified plastic surgeon near your home who will perform your surgery and follow you post operatively.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Want a mommy makeover in Colombia

While cheaper surgical fees are appealing to some people-- I encourage you to stay within US for any cosmetic surgery needs- as in my opinion- it is safer. Ultimately, you get what you pay for.