Massaging breasts vs not massaging breasts ?

I just had my 1 week post op appt & I got my tape removed & my incision cleaned. I was told that my doctor doesn't tell his patients to massage their boobs. Is this normal ? What if I went ahead and massaged them anyway ? I have 400cc's HP silicone gel implants from a very small 34a cup. I want the best possible results!

Massaging vs not massaging breasts

Thank you for your question. Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. There´s no harm in massaging your breasts but you should always follow your surgeon´s instructions as he´s the best person to advise you. Wishing you a speddy recovery!

Massage or no massage

Implant massage is thought to be more useful when implants are placed above the muscle.  Some physicians for the first few weeks will recommend massage for a smooth walled implant that is under the muscle.  Long term, submuscular smooth implants are auto massaged by the overlying movement of the pectoralis muscle. Textured implants because of their rough surface are thought to possibly irritate the inside of the newly forming capsule with massage and most surgeons with unders will not recommend massage.  Your surgeon who knows what he or she did is your best resource for this question. Best of luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Post op breast massage

While most surgeons recommend post-op massage, it turns out that there really is no clear evidence of its effectiveness in preventing capsular contracture. A large review of the existing literature on this topic did not show a significant effect. I think the majority of surgeons would agree that there is certainly no harm in doing massage.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Each surgeon has their own preferences. I recommend massaging very early in recovery but I am NOT your surgeon.