How long is swelling/post-op recovery noticeable after closed rhinoplasty (no osteotomy)?

I'm planning on a minor rhinoplasty to reduce a 'droopy tip' that may involve alar rim grafts and possibly shortening the septum (as it was described). Also getting a septoplasty at the same time for a deviated septum. I have not had any prior cosmetic surgeries and was also told this would not involve any breaking. I know results can take time to show but for this type of surgery how long post-op is it typically noticeable to other people (with swelling, etc)?

Swelling after closed rhinoplasty

Swelling can take up to a year to resolve completely after any rhinoplasty. The fact that you are not getting osteotomies (breaking the bones) means that there is a lower chance of significant bruising around the eyes postop, which is probably the most noticeable part. Either way, expect to be swollen for at least 1-2 weeks of social downtime for recovery.

Swelling , some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

How the Rhinoplasty operation is performed?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

If you only want improvement of the tip cartilage, then ~1 week should be fine. If you want the small hump[cartilage and bone] reduced, 2 weeks would be better. 'Complete Healing' can take 6-12 months.It would be best for you to visit an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for an in-depth consultation to review your options.

Kevin Dieffenbach, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Swelling of the nose after rhinoplasty is certainly variable and will depend on the extent of the procedure as well as the inherent characteristics of the tissues. Swelling in thick tissues and skin will tend to take longer. As a general rule, much of the swelling is gone over the first couple of months give or take. Swelling of the tip, however, resolves slowly and will resolve over a year and even longer. 

Sam Gershenbaum, DO
Aventura Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

Swelling is usually the thing that bothers patients the longest. A good amount of swelling will subside in a few months, but there will likely be residual swelling for a year or longer.

Post op healing

It is impossible to say for certain as every patient heals at his or her individual rate. In general, I tell my patients to expect some swelling and bruising for the first 2-3 weeks. Most can expect to see 80% of their final result by 6 weeks post op. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Post op rhinoplasty swelling

Great question.  For an isolated "tip plasty", a lot depends on your skin type (whether it is thick or thin), how you heal, as well as the complexity of the maneuvers performed.  Closed rhinoplasty usually has less swelling than an open, so that works in your benefit.  On average, most patients have some noticeable swelling for about 2 weeks.  That being said, you will FEEL swollen for quite some time after that.  Don't be surprised if you are swollen for a couple weeks more than the average - sometimes people swell more, other times people swell less. Your doc would be best able to tell you what, in their hands, they have found their patients experience.  Best of luck!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon