How long after a BBL will I be able to sit on my butt without the pillow for any given amount of time?

Brazilian butt lift aftercare

Thank you for your question.  Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. With Brazilian butt lift we transfer fat from one area of the body to the other.  These fat cells are transferred in microinjections throughout multiple planes in the buttock tissue so that they can gain new blood supply and live in their new home, providing increased volume and shape to the buttocks. Postoperatively, no specific position is indicated and we do not have any sitting restrictions.  The pressure caused by sitting is not sufficient to affect viability of the fat cells and so the postsurgical position depends basically on comfort and any other operations that have been performed. The best person to advice you will be your specific surgeon.  Make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Sitting After Brazilian Butt Lift Without Pillow

In my practice I advise a minimum of six weeks of no pressure whatsoever on the buttocks after Brazilian Butt Lift. Premature sitting crushes the fat, killing it and flattening your butt. And nobody wants a bigger, but flatter butt with lumps and bumps from dead fat cells. I provide a special roll (NOT a donut roll or boppy pillow as those both put pressure on your buttocks when sitting) to help with sitting in the first six weeks. This special roll allows sitting without putting any pressure on the buttocks after BBL. And while I recommend a minimum of six weeks, I've had patients who, on their own accord, chose to go longer than six weeks with the special roll. I feel that their results ended up even better, specifically more projection and an even more rounded shape. Having said that, I get excellent results with the six-week, no buttocks pressure restriction. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... I recommend you to sit on your boopy pillow for at least 8 weeks from your procedure, it will be better for your results and shape too.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

It is important to consult with your surgeon about their post-operative instructions, as each surgeon has slightly different post-operative protocols. I recommend to my patients that they do not sit on their bottoms for long periods of time for the first three weeks. The first week I do not recommend any sitting or pressure on the buttocks, days 8-14 the patient may sit up to 5 minutes two times per day.  Days 15-21 the patient may sit up to 9 minutes five times a day only then days 22 and beyond sitting is fine as long as the patient is comfortable. If you must sit for longer durations, I definitely do recommend the BBL pillow and getting up every 10-15 minutes to walk around until you are at least three weeks post op. Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz