After the liposuction procedure is completed, is all the fat removed throughout the entire body?

I want to ask right after the liposuction procedure is completed all the fat is removed, throughout the entire body? Also, some surgeons say they do not use stitches because the incisions they make are very small or tiny, and they close up right after the procedure? However, other surgeons from this website told me they use stitches? I do not want to be stitched up...

Amount of fat removed during lipocontouring

Fat is certainly not removed 100% from the areas that are liposuctioned.  Surgeons differ but I place very fine stitches beneath the skin to close the incisions.  By not keeping the incisions water-tight allows fluid to drain out and making the swelling disappear more quickly.

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fat removal

Thank you for your question.  When you have liposuction performed, fat is only removed from the area that is liposuctioned.  At my practice, we stitch the sites where the cannula is inserted.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Fat remioval with lipo

The only fat that will be removed will be from the areas where the liposuction is actually performed and there only.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Fat Removal After Liposuction

the fat is reduced in the areas that are treated.  the fat is not fully removed in the areas, the body is shaped and contoured.  you much leave behind some fat to keep the normal appearance.  I suggest seeing a formal consultation with an expert in hi definition body shaping and who does a significant amount of fat harvesting and tranfering.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction is targeted to areas where you have excess fat:  abdomen, flanks, arms, thighs, neck, etc.  It is typically not done over the "entire" body.  The access points are extremely small and will heal fine with or without a suture.  

John Burns, MD

Fat Free after Lipo?

Liposuction does not remove every fat cell from the entire body. Typically liposuction is used to treat troublesome areas of the body that have been resistant to diet and exercise. Liposuction is not a weight loss procedure.
Fat cells do two things. They swell (with caloric intake) and they shrink (when the body burns more calories than it takes in).  The fat cells that are removed from a part of the body will not return. However, continued excess calorie intake will cause fat cells in other parts of the body to swell and may produce a profoundly unappealing look.
As for the incisions, surgeons may place a suture to loosely close the liposuction incision. This allows the fluid that is instilled in the treatment area to drain after the procedure. Its typically a matter of surgeon preference. I have found that a single suture will help the site heal with as thin a scar as possible.

A local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon can assist you in decision making and answer all your questions when you are ready.

J.Michael Morrissey, MD