1 month post op of Breast Augmentation, could I lay out in the sun with SPF?

I am one month post BA... Under muscle implants... Could I lay out in the sun with SPF? Could I go back to baking ( need to use some pressure to mix/ fold in batter etc)....? And house cleaning, dusting etc....?

I have liberalized my restictions on sun exposure over the years here in Miami by looking at and listening to my patients. While I do ask them to avoid the sun and the hot weather for two weeks, often they return at one or two weeks with their new tan lines or a bit of redness. They have said they seem to swell easier in the heat early on and the skin is a bit more sensitive. The point is, despite all the theoretical and even some of the "more real" concerns with it, I have yet, after thousands of patients in Miami, to have anyone that had a real problem from it. Be smart, be aware and don't be greedy.

If they had any lind of a lift, it is different.

Tanning post op

Keep the sun away from scars is your best bet. Scars behave differently in different people and can become too dark permanently (hyperpigmentation or dyschromia) if exposed to the sun. Better to spray tan if you want to hide it. Definitely use a strong SPF (>30) sunscreen on it even though it is hidden by your bathing suit as some sun goes through the fabric.

1 month postop of breast augmentation - could I lay out in the sun with SPF?

Hello! Thank you for your question! After any surgical procedure, you should be careful with incisions as well as avoidance of direct UVA and UVB rays in order to lessen the chance for hyperpigmentation of the skin and scars, which can take several months to resolve, if it ever does. Sunblock is recommended regardless. The ability of the affected area to heal has been slowed and you should try to avoid additional swelling to the area. The area will likely be numb for several weeks to months and will be difficult to feel when sunburn is coming on.

Typical recommendations include wearing a hat and/or sunblock to the affected area for at least 6-12 weeks following the procedure. It takes up to one year for scars to fully mature. You should also avoid trauma to the area for several months to protect the refinements made during the procedure. Also, avoidance of pools/lakes/jacuzzis/etc for 4-6 weeks is usually recommended to allow adequate healing and protection from stagnant water, that could potentially harbor bacteria. Lifting/exercise restrictions are common for at least 7 weeks. Certainly discuss the postoperative instructions with your surgeon, as thoughts differ among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Sunbathing and routine activities

Return to your routine activities after breast augmentation is really at the discretion of your surgeon. I usually recommend that this can begin as early as four weeks but may need to wait for six weeks 

Tanning After Surgery

Thank you for your inquiry on Breast Augmentation.

• I advise my patients to wait at last six weeks before laying out in the sun.
  • When you do lay out, you should wear sun block not sun screen.  When purchasing sun block look at the ingredients, you should look for zinc oxide or titanium oxide.
  • You should also wear a dark colored swimsuit top.
You should also double check with your plastic surgeon for his/her advice.

Best Wishes.

Baking in the kitchen Yes, Baking in the sun- No

You can very likely resume activities like cooking, baking etc. Always check with your plastic surgeon. You don't mention where your incision site was, or whether your plan is to sunbathe topless. Once again, check with your plastic surgeon, but sun exposure may have a negative impact on scars. Damaging the skin through sun exposure will also age the skin. HIgh SPF sunblock that is a physicial block is best when enjoying time outdoors.  

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

1 month post op of Breast Augmentation, could I lay out in the sun with SPF

You can not expect us to respond with any recommendations that you should take seriously! CALL your surgeon and ask him/her for ALL postoperative instructions....