Is it best to be at your ideal weight before having a mommy make over procedure?

I am 5'0 and weigh about 148lbs. I was told its best to be slightly over weight before procedure, is this accurate? My ideal weight is about 125.

It's always best to be at your ideal weight before any body contouring procedure

Imagine making your bed with pillows under the covers.  You smooth the sheets taut as possible and tuck in the corners.  Then you reach under and take out the pillows. The sheets are now loose, rumpled and wrinkled.  That's the basic concept behind wanting to have you at your ideal weight.  That way, all the skin that is going to be loose is available to be pulled taut, leaving you with a smooth contour.  As well, no body contouring surgery is a "weight loss" tool. It is the final step in getting you to the look you want after you've put in the hard work of eating whole, nutritious foods and exercising regularly.  

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Weight and mommy makeovers

This is a great question! While we don’t necessarily need patients to be at their ideal weight, we do recommend that patients be at a stable weight for at least 3 months before moving forward with their surgery. I hope you find this information helpful. Good luck with your mommy makeover.

Weight and mommy makeovers

Weight before surgery

Obviously a more desirable weight is preferable and desirable for the patient and surgeon alike. However a stable weight is one of the most important things you can do prior to surgery. In other words losing weight prior to surgery then gaining back afterwards is counterproductive. If you are within about 20 pounds or less of your usual weight then it should not make that much difference.

Weight before surgery

Pre-Op Instructions from Your Surgeon

In our office I tend to recommend that my patients are at their desired weight before scheduling surgery. There is always the potential that losing more weight after surgery will loosen up more skin, and thus reverse the outcome of procedure. Never hesitate to seek out the consultation of other local surgeons before deciding on one. Best of luck to you.

Pre-Op Instructions from Your Surgeon

Mommy Makeover - Ideal Weight

Thank you for your question about Mommy Makeover.

For best results, it is good to be at a healthy weight that you can safely maintain before and after surgery.  This makes results more predictable.

If your weight fluctuates up or down, this can make your results unpredictable.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

Mommy Makeover - Ideal Weight

Dr derby

My advise is always to lose as much weight as possible before your procedure. Everybody is different when it comes to losing weight and it can be extremely frustrating to just aim for a number on a scale. Especially it you just do not get there despite of all your efforts. Do your best and when you go in the surgeon will tell you what to expect with regards to your results. Best of luck   

Dr derby

Mommy makeover

Hi & thank you for your question.
To obtain the best possible results, it is best to be at your goal weight before having surgery,I recommend contacting  a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Best of luck.

Mommy makeover

Hi & thank you for your question.

Ideal Weight

The simple answer is that there is no ideal weight to be at before surgery. I advise my patients to be at a weight that they've maintained for a year before undergoing surgery. 

Ideal Weight

Ideal weight before a MM

Hi,
In general, it is always best to be at your ideal weight before undergoing any type of body contouring procedure. However, there is one exception - fat transfer. If the MM includes a BBL or fat transfer to the breasts, then it's best to have extra fat for this purpose. Always consult with your PS directly for more detailed answers.
Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Ideal weight before a MM

Hi,
Best wishes and kind regards,

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Mommy Makeover - Weight Loss Before Surgery?

Thank you for your question and photos. I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast and body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.