I have been wanting to have a Labiaplasty done for years and want it to look clean and beautiful. What should I do? (photos)

Thank you for sharing.  You seem like a great candidate for Labiaplasty surgery.  You should do extensive research to find a surgeon in your area and try not to focus on price only. Be sure to choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in Labiaplasty.

Labiaplasty: A Personal Decision

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs. Labiaplasty is a cosmetic procedure that may improve one's confidence and resolve physical issues that one may have with an enlarged labia minora.  Clitoral hood reduction may also be indicated depending on the findings on physical examination. Labiaplasty with and without clitoral hood reduction is a personal decision after being well educated on the benefits and risks.  Your reason for wanting a labiaplasty is reasonable and a common reason among women.  There are several techniques, which should be discussed with you by the surgeon.   In my practice, I discuss this with my patients in order to educate them on their cosmetic issue, the surgical options and possible outcomes so that they can make an educated decision. I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling.  

There are several types of surgeons who promote themselves as performing labiaplasty, but a Cosmetic Urologist can offer unique qualifications compared to plastic surgeons, gynecologists and general urologists. Cosmetic Urologists typically have both extensive training and experience in both cosmetic and reconstructive genital surgery.  Unlike the large number of these other specialists, there is a much smaller number of qualified Cosmetic Urologists who are dedicated to the surgery of the genitalia.  Other specialists may not have practices dedicated solely to the genitalia -- plastic surgeons may also be performing breast implants and facelifts, gynecologists may also be performing hysterectomies and caring for menopause, and general urologists may also be performing surgery for prostate cancer and erectile dysfunction.  Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

What should you do?

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Your labia minora and clitoral hood are enlarged but not massively enlarged. A labiaplasty is a good idea, but it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks.  It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed.  Since you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

You are definitely a candidate for a labiaplasty. Most women want the most aesthetically beautiful genital area they can have, thus I created my technique of doing labiaplasty called the True Labiaplasty. I recently presented my technique at the American Society of Cosmetic Physicians.

There are many types of labiaplasty procedures. I personally prefer my method of doing labiaplasty procedures using a modified posterior wedge technique. It can give you very good symmetry of the labia and it excises excess tissue around the clitoris (i.e. prepuce and clitoral hood) when needed.

It looks the best aesthetically, and postoperatively patients experience less pain, in my experience. In addition, many patients have more satisfying sex since the sensitive thin delicate labial edges are left intact. You can learn more on the link below.  Details are on my website on the link below. Your concerns are exactly the reason why I developed my technique. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

a Labiaplasty is a very common procedure. I a have attached a video that explains it.

Dr Scott Ennis

Miami Fl

Labiaplasty - "clean and beautiful"

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy).  Based upon your photos, your anatomy is very typical of someone who seriously considers having these procedures and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter. 

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

I have been wanting to have a labiaplasty done for years and want it to look clean and beautiful. What should I do?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  WIth women presenting with your genital appearance most elect to pursue a labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction.  This will allow tightening of your labia minora length, while reducing its projection, and providing a reduction in the width of the clitoral hood.  Additional maneuvers such as a perineoplasty and fat grafting to the labia majora can also be performed but are personal decisions.  Hope this helps.

Laser Reduction Labiaplasty of the Labia Minora with Reduction of Excess Prepuce

Designer Laser Vaginoplasty is a group of cosmetic laser procedures which repairs, enhances, and beautifies the genitalia. The most common DLV procedures are the Laser Reduction Labioplasty (reduction of labia minora).

Laser reduction labioplasty is a very safe outpatient procedure. The procedure is painless. You can have your choice of anesthesia (local, local with IV sedation, regional-epidural for spinal, twilight, and general). Our special techniques will provide pain relief for the first 18 to 24 hours. After this the pain medications will take care of any discomfort.

I recommend a consultation in order to receive detailed information.

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction can give you good results. It doesn't really matter so much which exact technique is chosen, as long as your surgeon is properly qualified. This can be done under local anaesthetic and has generally good outcomes according to the literature.Serious complications are fortunately uncommon and most cosmetic issues after surgery can easily be corrected after a few months.

All the best

Hagen Schumacher, MD, PhD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon