I had a tummy tuck and liposuction done 8 weeks ago and my belly isn't completely flat. Will it improve over time? (Photo)

I had a tummy tuck and liposuction done, i just made 8 weeks post op but im still very swollen and find my lower abdomen hard and still have a funny looking belly its not completely flat as i expected. Will this go away? When should i expect to be completely flat? Will wearing my waist cincher everyday help my results as far as getting my belly completely flat and having my curvy sides like my after pic provided by my doctor ?? Also will starting my lymphatic massages help already ??

Hi, do not worry. At 8 weeks post op, is still normal to be swollen, some times it takes till 6 months.

It is very good to have lymphatic massages.

Remember to keep a close communication with your surgeon and keep in mind that you can alway have a revision surgery to correct anything you desire to be better.

Flat abdominoplasty

You first want to make sure there is no fluid collection or seroma causing the lower bulge.  If this is not the case, it may be residual subcutaneous fat.  In due time a touch up with liposuction can help improve your contour.  

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

I had a tummy tuck and liposuction done 8 weeks ago and my belly isn't completely flat. Will it improve over time?

After reading this posting a few times with reviewing the posted photos I finally understand what is going on! The first photo is a before and possible computer simulated result. The other posted photos are the "REALITY" results! The issues here are why computer pre op imaging never matches the reality of surgical results! Thus the patient need to be informed that this computer generated result is ONLY a possible outcome. In fact the majority NEVER do match the imagery. Second issue in my over the internet opinion is the very conservative operation being done in you. Thus this is your result, only possible weight loss would help or the thought of aggressive revision comes to mind. 

Flat tummy post abdominoplasty

Since your are only 8 weeks give it more time.Lymphatic massage is ok and wear acompression garment to help with swelling.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

I had a tummy tuck and liposuction done 8 weeks ago and my belly isn't completely flat.

You are still fairly early in the healing process. Healing from surgery will take time. In the initial phase after surgery, within the first three months, there is a period of inflammation and scarring that must occur in order for you to heal. During the following months these processes will subside and the inflammatory process gives way to scar softening and remodeling. It is during this time that you will start to see your results appear. I tell my patients that they will not see their final results for at least to 6 months.

I recommend be patient and continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon. This will allow you and your surgeon the chance to discuss your concerns and help allay any anxieties you may be experiencing.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Too full and too firm after abdominoplasty

It is just about time for you to start doing aggressive abdominal muscle exercises.  Now that you are healed you can develop your abs while the scars are maturing.  Give yourself a few months and see what happens.  Residual swelling and firmness should resolve.

Daniel Greenwald, MD