I don't know if I want silicone or saline? Should I put 400cc or 450cc?

I went to my dr and he told me he recommends saline 450 cc so i could see the difference because thats what i want and i want people to see the differents too and that i got them done i want a full c or small d but i dont know if 450 is too much? Im 5'2 134 lbs.. also i dont know if i want them saline or silicone i have read about the difference but i still can decided can some one help me :(... my surgery got schedule for january 23 because of the doubts that i still have i want to be sure

Saline or silicone

Hello dear, thanks for post,

The choice of which type of breast implant to use is a very common one. There are advantages and disadvantages with both, so it's very important for you to sit down with your plastic surgeon and discuss everything in detail.

The short answer is they are both safe options. Silicone implants have a silicone shell and are filled with a cohesive silicone gel. Saline implants also have a silicone shell, but are filled with saline. 

In my view, the advantage of a saline implant is that you need a smaller incision during surgery (about 3 cm or just over an inch) and if it does leak, you will know (the breast will flatten as your body absorbs the saline) and so you will be able to have it replaced. The disdvantage to saline implants is that in some patients, especially very thin ones or if they are placed above your pectoralis muscle, they can show some rippling or folds of the implant wall.

Silicone implants have the advantage of a much more natural look and feel, even in thin patients and even in cases where we place the implant above the muscle. The disadvantage is that you need a slightly longer incision to introduce the implant (4- 4.5 cm in most cases) and you often will not know if it leaks or ruptures. This is why the implant companies recommend an MRI of the breast every couple of years to view the implant to rule out a leak. For many women this is a minor inconvenience for the superior look and feel that silicone implants offer.
In the end, for most patients we can achieve a very nice, safe result with either option, so the choice is truly yours.

Good luck :)

Breast implants

You need to feel comfortable with your implant choice before surgery. I always recommend as many visits as needed. Sizes in bra, 3D imaging, etc will determine which implants would fit best and give your desired results.

Salines can be adjusted slightly during the surgery and tend to give a more rounder, augmented look. 

Gels look and feel more natural and usually last longer. You have to be 22 for gels.

Further discussion with your plastic surgeon is recommended.

I don't know if I want silicone or saline?

• Good questions. Much of the final look and feel achieved after breast augmentation surgery depends on several factors:
  • 1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal. 
  • 2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing long-term well-placed breast implants. Careful measurements (dimensional planning) and careful selection of breast implant size/profile are part of the surgeon's  responsibilities.
  • I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone) or model (low/moderate/high profile) of implant.
  • 3. The type of implant used may determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. In other words, if a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
  • 4. The size and model of breast implant used may make a significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “full C or small D cup” etc.
  • Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

• I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation concerns), helps. Best wishes.

There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

It is important for you to understand that you don’t always need a breast implant for breast augmentation. As it was also mentioned above you can also get bigger and natural breasts with Cihantimur Fat Transfer method. In this method we use own fat tissue of the patient in order to increase the size of the breast. Since this tissue is your own tissue there is no risk for any adverse effects. It is safe and fast operation that yields natural results without any incision.

Breast implant sizing - be confident in your choice!

Breast implant sizing is something that really needs to be done in person. It's a combination of your anatomy, your goals, and how full you want to be. Implant characteristics (saline vs. silicone, round vs. shaped, moderate vs. high profile) also can change the appearance dramatically. If you are unsure, take the time to get a few opinions until you are confident in the choice you are making.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Your implant size should be based on the base width of your breast which your surgeon should have measured during her exam.  The average implant size in my practice is 350 cc for patients who want to be a full C small B.  You can do the Rice test which is described in the link below to determine what size looks best on you.  For what it is worth at a recent survey of board-certified plastic surgeons it was determined that 83% of surgeons used silicon gel smooth round breast implants.

Silicone or saline?

Thank you very much for this interesting question.
In my practice i recommend using - Cohesive Gel - Silicone Breast Implants with textured cover.
They are quite safe and aesthetically best as they give a firmer consistency, better projection and most natural appearance than Saline implants.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Silicone or Saline

Hello and thank you for your question. You should see in person a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can examine you, take key measurements and go over with you your specific aesthetic goals. Bringing several photos of your "ideal" look can be helpful as well.  During the consultation is a review and discussion about incision location, implant placement, implant size and shape, type of the implants and recovery period. There are several key differences and some similarities in the types and shapes of breast implants. It is best to see and feel in person the different sizes, shapes and textures of the various implants during a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best of luck. Benjamin J. Cousins M.D. Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size, profile, shape, and type of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD