I am resistant to botox?

I started receiving botox in my glabella 4 years ago. I'm 35. The first time in Chicago, 12 units, and I had great results. Moved to Miami and have never had the same result. Every 3 months 30 units, but still a lot of movement. 3 different doctors, and efficacy is lower each time. The last Dr. recommended every 2 months, 20 units. This improved the efficacy slightly for some time. However, this last time, I have a lot of movement and wake up with a very defined line between my eyes.

Botox and Resistance

It is extremely rare to be resistant to Botox unless you are having significantly large doses for neurologic reasons.  I would consult an expert.  If you still have no results consider Xeomin.  Best, Dr. Green

Resistant to Botox?

You could consider trying Xeomin as an alternative to Botox.  Xeomin does not contain some of the accessory proteins that Botox has and it may be less likely to elicit an immune reaction to the product.  I am the largest user of Xeomin in the Denver area and get great results with it.  You could also try Dysport, which is another similar medicine.
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Getting less results with Botox

I would try Xeomin. It doesn't have an associated protein. There is one with Botox and Dysport which some people develop an antibody to and causes less effects. If this doesn't work, you just need more units.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox resistance

Every time a patient is injected, antibodies form against this protein and most of the time it remains clinically insignificant. in some patients these blocking antibodies cause more and more of the toxin to be used to obtain the same results. total lack of response is rare but does occur

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox Resistance

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with Botox. Although they area a great brand, some patients do prefer others such as Dysport of Xeomin. Maybe try one of these next time to see if it makes a difference.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Resistance to Botox

Botox is a very fragile molecule that begins to decay the minute it is taken from the box and reconstituted with saline.  For best results I use the Botox immediately after preparing it (I do not leave a vial in the fridge for a week or two, doling out a few units at a time).  In my practice I use all 50 or 100 units at once, giving my patients the best possible benefit.  

If you have been treated with fresh Botox at a good dose (>25 units) and you still have no response you may have become a non-responder due to the development of antibodies.  In this case you may want to switch to intradermal fillers (Restylane) to limit wrinkles.

Botox resistance...

Thank you for your question.  There could be many factors at play here, including date of dilution, amount of dilution, authentic product used (which is doubtful this would be an issue if 3 separate physicians).  You may consider switching to another product like Xeomin which lacks the complexing proteins that are in Botox and may yield better results for you.  I'd advise you to use a higher dose of Xeomin relative to what you have been injecting with Botox.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

I am resistant to botox?

It could be a tolerance? but I doubt! Best to see another injecting MD. Ask for freshly mixed BOTOX units to be injected. I would start with 20 units.fee $300. Than you MUST return in 10 days to check.