Follow up to previous question - I notice the color has changed(BOTTOM PIC) on my tummy tuck incision is it infected? (photos)

19 days ago I was concerned that my incision opened upped (TOP PIC) so I left it uncovered for 2 days thinking maybe it needed air to breath to heal....now I notice the color has changed(BOTTOM PIC) is it infected???.... I will call my surgeon tomorrow to see if I can get a earlier follow up appointment....but untill then I'm concerned so I posted this question till I can see my doctor

Abdominoplasty Healing

The midportion of the abdominoplasty incision experiences the area of highest tension (tightness) and is also the area that is furthest from its blood supply. This area often experiences healing difficulties because of these reasons. These healing difficulties can manifest as widened scars, skin slough (just the surface of the skin), or skin necrosis (full thickness skin loss) resulting in dehiscence of the wound (opening). Infection in this area is also possible because of the decreased blood supply. Infection often manifests as warmth, redness, induration, and purulent drainage. Infection can also be associated with fevers and chills. A detailed post-operative exam and discussion will help delineate between the two issues. Close follow-up with a plastic surgeon is the next best step.

Tummy Tuck Incision Opening

It looks like you might have some minor skin necrosis. This may require some debridement, but this can usually be done in the office. See your surgeon for follow up.

Follow up to previous question - I notice the color has changed(BOTTOM PIC) on my tummy tuck incision is it infected?

The issue is not are you having a problem but why you have NOT seen your operative surgeon more often????

TT incision

I see hardly a difference between the appearance of the wound on the two photos, Unless you are ill with fever or have a large change in drainage, another day to see your surgeon should not be an issue.

Hope all goes well. Best wishes.

Scars can discolor from any tension or trauma

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

The dark skin color by itself does not mean infection.
It does mean inflammation - which can be from the open wound itself, from surgical tension on the skin or infection among other causes.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.