I want my nose to look smaller and changed. Should I undergo rhinoplasty or alarplasty? (photo)

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a reduction in the width of your alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

I want my nose to look smaller and changed. Should I undergo rhinoplasty or alarplasty?

All views of the nose are needed in order to comment most accurately. From the frontal view it appears that you would benefit from a Complete Rhinoplasty in order to address all of the elements of your nose. Make sure you seek an experienced Board Certified PS with extensive experience in Rhinoplasty. For more info, you can view the video attached

Rhinoplasty

Hi cgil0904From the photograph provided, you have a relatively broad nose both in the bridge and tip area.  A rhinoplasty involving both those areas could potentially create a slimmer, more refined and therefore smaller nose.  This would not be achieved by alarplasty alone.Best,Warwick Nettle

Rhinoplasty candidate

Thick skin will be a significant impediment to seeing a refinement in the nose, especially in the tip area. That said, it's important to have realistic expectations moving forward with the rhinoplasty procedure. The bridge line and the tip can both be narrowed with a rhinoplasty procedure. An alar plasty procedure narrows wide nostrils. For more information in many before-and-after results, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty, advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
Through rhinoplasty we make small changes, but that is quite noticeable.  After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform a Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base, with nasal bones treatment, and alar and triangular nasal cartilages shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. As an artist I like using the reshaping technique when performing Rhinoplasties. Using advanced suturing techniques I can change the nasal cartilages giving you a thinner, more refined natural looking nose. I like to find out from the patient what they don't like about their nose and what their goals are. I then examine the nose and I write up a detailed operative plan. I incorporate the FINNESSE technique which I invented. Bleeding, bruising and postoperative pain is minimal when compared to traditional techniques and recovery is quicker. I don't routinely pack the nose. It's not uncommon that some patients have no bruising after surgery. I hope you find this information useful.

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Rhinoplasty

You would want to undergo the more comprehensive rhinoplasty procedure.  You do not want to treat only the ala without addressing your tip bulbosity and widened dorsal bridge.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Great rhinoplasty candidate

Hello. Looking at the picture you uploaded, it looks like you would be an excellent rhinoplasty candidate. The right operation will render a nose that is slimmer, more refined, and better functioning in the event you have obstructive airway issues. 

Marcelo Ghersi, MD