I have a mild hypertrophic scarring skin problem, but I really don't like my nose.

Just wanted to get a doctors' view on the topic if its a good idea. or if there is any alternatives.. because i really wanna fix it.

Hypertrophic Scarring

It is exceedingly uncommon to have hypertrophic scarring in rhinoplasty surgery. Most often, the scars are hidden inside the nose where hypertrophic scarring does not occur. If there are scars outside on the skin (open rhinoplasty), it is very rare. I would recommend scheduling a consultation for an evaluation.

Hypertrophic scarring skin

Becky, without seeing any pictures or examining your skin, its a tough question to answer.  That being said, you are not alone.  There are many patients who have healing issues, and, as such, you just have to be prepared and ready for it.  Often times when there are patients with thick skin or those who create a lot of scar tissue we can inject and do different things to help prevent/break down that scar tissue.  Depending on what needs to be done for you (as no two noses are exactly the same) your doc should be able to manage this.  The post operative care is just as important as the surgery, specially when it comes to long term healing! Best of luck! The fact that you are already researching this is a good sign that you have thoroughly thought things through.

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hypertrophic scarring and keloid formation after rhinoplasty

With regards to keloid formation or hypertrophic scarring, rhinoplasty is a rather safe operation. Although one should never say never, it is extremely rare for hypertrophic scarring or keloid formation after rhinpoplasty for several reasons: One, most incisions are hidden inside the nose where there is no hypertrophic scarring and two, the bottom incision externally is not prone to hypertrophic scarring. In fact, I have personally not seen a patient with a hypertrophic scar after rhinoplasty even when the patient has a history of keloid formation elsewhere on the body. Meticulous surgical technique can minimize the risk.

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon