I've just had lipo. How long should I wait to get a tattoo in that area?

I got my lower and upper abdomen done, bra rolls, and flanks. I'm 4 days post op

My suggestion would be not to do any tattooing to the area until all the swelling has gone which can take up to 4 – 6 months.  It is best to contact your surgeon directly with this question and follow his or her suggestions.

Dr Derby

I would definitely not do anything so short after your surgery. I would wait until all the swelling is gone , so at least 4-6 months post op. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Tattoos and liposuction

Depending on how aggressive your liposuction was, you may develop significant swelling and some firmness. 

My best guess is this would not affect the tattooing process much at all.

The majority of the swelling will be gone by three weeks, though some of the swelling lasts many months longer. 

It may be a good idea to check with your plastic surgeon and, even more so, with any potential tattoo artist.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Liposuction and Tattoos

I would wait a few weeks till the swelling subsides, some people say 3-6 months, but it shouldnt hurt the area at all.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tatto post lipo.

You are only 4 days post op. I would not try to do anything until  swelling is completely gone. sometime it may take 4 to 6 months. strict post operative follow up with your primary surgeon is necessary and very important.

When to tattoo an area of liposuction

Thank you for your question about your liposuction.

• You will be swollen for months after liposuction
  • So don't have a tattoo until all the swelling is gone
  • Or the tattoo will change as swelling subsides.
  • Usually this would be 4 - 6 months but please ask your surgeon before having it done.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Tattoo after liposuction

You should have your final result in the 4-5 month range.  You should be able to feel your skin in the treated areas and your sensation should normal and the tissue not indurated.  

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Few issues here! I think you are kidding? But ALWAYS check with your chosen surgeon concerning ALL post op issues... In my practice lipo swelling take at least 3 weeks to 3 months o settle so for me, "no tattoo for you, next!" (reference: Seinfeld episode- "Soup Nazi")

I would wait until your swelling and bruising is gone from the area 8-12 weeks.  You don't want to cause any additional trauma. 

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon