Had lip injections in March 2016. They lady told me it was Restlyane. She charge me $100 dollars. Can this be reversed? (Photo)

I had lip injections in March 2016. They lady told me it was Restlyane. She didn't put much but she only charge me $100 dollars. I got hit in my lips and now notice lumps in the areas she injected. Can this be reverse?

It can

SO not only can it be reversed, in the hands of an experienced practitioner it can be evened out without losing the whole lot. 

I have found that a dose of 5-7 units or hyaluronidase (the enzyme that breaks down filler) can be used to dissolve only the lumps leaving the rest of the filler intact. 

Definitely worth a go before losing all the filler and your $100

Hope that helps. 

Adam Goodwin

Lip Plumping Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Restylane, Juvederm and Fat -- Lumps After "Restylane"

It is highly unlikely that you received Restylane for such a low price. If you did receive a hyaluronic-acid based filler, it can be dissolved with hyaluridonase. However, since you are not sure what substance you received, that may not work. Please see an expert rather than shopping for bargains. Best, Dr. Emer

Had lip injections in March 2016. They lady told me it was Restlyane. She charge me $100 dollars. Can this be reversed

If you truly had Retsylane injected, then it can be dissolved, however if you were injected back in March, it should be about gone anyways. Typically lip injections only last about 6 months due to the amount of movement in the area. Restylane generally runs about $500-$600 per syringes, so chances are that is not what you actually received. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Lip injecction

this is unfortunate because it is very unlikely you actually had Retylane. More likely for 100 dollars you had silicone and an inexperienced injector. I would first check this injector out and find out what she injected

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Restylane reversal

Restylane is a hyaluronic acid (HA) filler which can be dissolved with the injectable medicine hyaluronidase (also called by a few different trade names such as Hylenex and Vytrase).  If your lip bumps are composed of hyaluronic acid, the dissolving medication should dissolve it within hours.  A history of trauma may result in scar tissue, which may respond more effectively to injections of steroid and an anti-scarring medcation 5-fluorouracil; recalcitrant scar tissue may need to be injected serially or surgically excised.  You would do well to consult with a dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or facial plastic surgeon experienced both in cosmetic injectable treatments and scar management regarding your concerns.  Such a consultation along with a physical exam should help you and your physician formulate a future treatment plan.  Good luck!  

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

A syringe of Restylane costs the injector at least $200, so the product was likely to be something else.  Be careful about "who" performs your injections, preferably a core trained Physician.  Likewise, be skeptical of "what" is being used.  A filler costing $100 is too good to be true. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Had lip injections in March 2016. They lady told me it was Restlyane. She charge me $100 dollars. Can this be reversed?

Can try with hyaluronidase injection series or 2 to 3 visits at $500 per visit. BUT I think for only $100 you DID NOT have Restylane but some illegal substance, like industrial silicone.. Than only surgical removal can help but there could be residual deformities and scars....

It is unlikely you were injected with Restylane.  The product is much more costly than you were charged. You should always evaluate your injector. Without the information on the product it is unclear whether hyaluronidase will be effective.

Lip injections

Hello, and thanks for your question and photo. I'm sorry you did not get the result you had hoped for. Yes, Restylane can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. I am very surprised at the price, as Restylane usually costs more like $500-600 per syringe.  I always caution patients against choosing an aesthetic physician based on cost alone. Unfortunately, you sometimes get what you pay for. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Lumps after Restylane

The good news is that Restylane can be reversed through injection of an enzyme called Hyaluronidase, so any lumps caused by hyaluronic acid filler (assuming that is what she used) can be fixed. Any trained injector carries this product in their office. If you have access to the same injector you should call her. If not, any qualified filler injector should be willing to see you. Hyaluronidase is fairly expensive, so they will charge you for the visit if they did not do the initial injection. For $100, it might not have been true Restylane, though, so be careful of cut rate deals on filler. You might not get what you are expecting.

Jenny Weyler, MD
Worcester Physician