I have one implant higher than the other one should I wear the band?

I had surgery just a month ago

Wearing the Band During Post-Op Healing

Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions.

Any of the following may be post-op difficulties, about which it is best to contact your surgeon directly:

·       Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·       Reduced sensation of #nipple

·       Deflation/rupture

·       Capsular contracture

·       Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·       Firmness, and distorted appearance

·       Interference with breast feeding

·       Mammogram interference

·       Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·       Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·       Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·       Hypertrophic scarring

·       Tissue loss

·       Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal

The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period.  There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.   Sensation will be abnormal.  Scars will be changing. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined.

Post Op Band

This is definitely a question for your Plastic Surgeon as they know your situation the best.

Take care 

Perfectly normal

Good afternoon,

It is perfectly normal for one implant to drop before the other. No need to worry at this stage of the recovery period. As for the band, you should consult the plastic surgeon you had the procedure with for this answer. They will be able to give you the best advice for your recovery.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Breast asymmetry

Photos pre and post op would help -was there some asymmetry pre surgery ? A band may help if one side is riding a little high but you must see you surgeon to assess

Best to ask your chosen operative surgeon this question. without a posted photo and an in person examination we as responders can ONLY guess to the need for a band effect....

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Ione implant sitting higher 4 weeks after breast enlargement

Dear jennijay

thanks for your question.

It is very common for one implant to settle later than the other.I would not be worried at this stage as implants can take easily 3 months or longer before settling. This is usually caused by a muscular contracture that can be more pronounced on one side. I usually recommend rest with the arm on the side where the implant sit higher and gentle massage. The breast band at this stage might not help but you could try to wear it at night time to avoid any worsening. Speak with your surgeon and follow the instruction and i am sure you will be fine.

Best Regards

Mr Netri

Giorgio Netri, MBBS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

I have one implant higher than the other at 4 weeks post breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  It is still early in your recovery period, and very common to have one implant settling before the other.  I would ask your PS about wearing a band, he or she may just tell you to give it time.

Chad Robbins, MD

Breast augmentation recovery

It is normal for the breasts to heal at different rates.  Think of them as sisters, not twins.  I would recommend following the advice of your surgeon as opinions vary on when, if, or how long to wear the band.

Camille Cash, MD

Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and/or advice. The use of specific garments/bands etc will vary from one practice to another.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

In cases where implants do not settle sufficiently or significant breast asymmetry persists, the pros/cons associated with revisionary breast surgery (for example, capsulotomy surgery for an implant that is sitting too high) should be carefully considered prior to making decisions whether or not to undergo further surgery. 

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.