I got gynecomastia surgery almost 3 weeks ago. One breast is very swollen with no nipple - is this normal?

I had had ultrasonic liposuction of breast tissue and gland. The Dr said he didn't need to do an incision to take out the gland because it was soft and he could remove it through the lipo. Its been 3 weeks i feel discomfort on only the left breast I notice that the left is alot more swollen and harder than the right, plus my nipple looks like its completely gone. The left has like a red color while the right is starting to go back to normal skin color with no bruising is this normal should I be worried?

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Post operative appearance afterGynecomastia surgery

This could all be normal healing, as the two sides of our body rarely react exactly the same or heal at exactly the same rate.  However you might have more swelling and discoloration on one side because of a seroma or hematoma.  The best plan is to see your doctor as he or she knows exactly what they expect you to look like at this phase.  

Best Of luck. 

Melinda Haws, MD

Without posting photos very hard to advise. But uneven healing is a concern. Best to seek in person second opinions paid to have peace of mind.