I gained the weight back! I had lipo four months ago to my stomach, flanks, and back. (Photo)

Eating lots of junk I gained the weight back. I had lipo 4 months ago and loved my lipo results but now since gaining the eight back I have more girth and unusual fat deposits in my stomach and waist. I have stated eating clean and have started a exercise program. Will I have to have lipo again to get my results back and get rid of the fat deposits or will diet and exercise give me my lipo results back?

Return of fat to an area previously treated by liposuction.

First of all you still have swelling after liposuction even though your several months out. It takes quite a bit of weight gain to require retreatment of an area previously liposuctioned. If you do lose weight a revision will probably not be necessary.

Liposuction and Weight Loss

Liposuction is not a weight loss tool its for contouring and shaping.  IF you gained weight back you may need to have liposuction again with proper diet and exercise. Although you look like you may also need skin surgery to get the best result.  Dr. Emer.

Gained weight back after liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• I am so sorry you gained weight after your liposuction.
  • If you lose the weight to stay 10 pounds under your weight at the time of liposuction, you should regain and maintain your liposuction result.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Only in person examinations would allow a response. Best to see private practice PSs in Miami. Touch up lipo harder to do... 

Lipo vs Proper Eating

While liposuction is very effective at permanently removing fat cells, you do still have remaining fat cells after liposuction. Think of them as little storage units. When you gain weight as an adult, you don't make new fat cells, you simply store more fat in each cell. By removing some of those "storage units" you have a permanent change in the baseline of your shape. However, you can gain and lose weight in those areas still by filling/emptying each of those units more.

So, even though you have gained weight - and size - you likely still have better proportion there than you would if you had not had the liposuction. Having said all the - YES - by burning off the extra fat you should be able to return to the immediate post-liposuction shape or even better!

This is a good lesson illustrating that liposuction is not a free pass to eating poorly. One needs to maintain the change they have achieved,

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Weight gain post lipo

If you can develop some healthy eating habits and do daily exercise it is possible for you to lose that extra weight.I always say calories in and what do you burn off during the day.If it is positive then weight gain.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon