I just discovered I'm still producing milk and I have a BA schedule in 7 weeks. Should I cancel my BA? Are there any risks?

Breast Milk and surgery

Hello,  thank you for your question.  The ideal scenery is going to surgery after 6 months after stopping breastfeeding.   However in most of the cases this is a casual founding during surgery when doing the peri areolar approach.   When this happens it should be advised that an infection can occur.  In most of the cases it does not happen.  Have a great day. 

Breast milk not dried up yet...

Thank you for your question!

A general rule most surgeons follow is that patients should wait at least 6 months after breast feeding before having breast augmentation to decrease the risk of wound infection.

If the nipple discharge occurs without stimulation you should probably wait to have surgery.  If it is only with stimulation, it is fine to have surgery after 6 months. The actual time will depend on how much your body changes and the preference of your surgeon.

However, wound infection is mostly an issue for periareolar (around the nipple) incisions, not inframammary (under the breast) and transaxillary (under the armpit) incisions. When the implant is placed through the areola (dark pigmented region around the nipple), there is higher chances of implant contamination and capsular contracture, infection, etc. As such, ceasing of milk discharge is more of an issue for the periareolar incision.

Another reason to wait is because your breasts will be enlarged with milk.  For some period of time after stopping breastfeeding, your breasts will involute (decrease in size).  You want to be certain that the breast has reached a stable size before considering breast augmentation, otherwise your breasts will not be as full as desired after surgery.

You should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best timing for your surgery.
Hope this helps

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast augmentation - I am still producing milk

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation
  • I think you should let your surgeon know -
  • S/he will probably want to wait at least 3 months after you stop breast feeding.
  • Many surgeons ask patients to wait six months.
  • There are severeal risks -
  • A higher risk of infection, a higher risk that surgery will induce more milk production and a higher risk that the implant will be too small, since your breasts are still swollen.
  • Infection is the big concern - an infection means you lose the implant and have a nasty time healing the wound - so anything that raises the risk of infection even a little is enough to make most surgeons cautious - on your behalf.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for your question.  I would contact your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon's office and discuss this with time.  Each practice has different protocols prior to surgery.  At our office we wait at least 3-6month after a patient is done lactating before performing surgery.  There is several increase risks with lactating during surgery, especially it increases the risk of infection since breast milk is not sterile.  

Surgery/Milk Production

I recommend that you let your Plastic Surgeon know. I advise people to wait 6 months post breast feeding to undergo BA but some women will produce milk for a longer period. Your Plastic Surgeon may not have an issue with this if your incision is in the crease. You should discuss risks and considerations beforehand.
All the best

Producing milk and BA

Hello and thank you for your question. Typically a plastic surgeon will recommend to a patient still producing milk that the procedure should wait until the breast are finished changing and most of the milk has dried up. This is because if surgery is done while the breast are becoming larger from milk production - complications can arise during surgery due to not having a stable environment in the body. Also, breast augmentation final results will not be nearly as good if the breast are swelled beyond what their size would normally be. If breast augmentation was completed now, in the future your breast milk will dissipate and your cup size will decrease leaving you with a smaller size than you originally planned for. 
Breast can sometimes produce limited milk for years after breastfeeding, once changes in the breast are complete most surgeons will preform the surgery after consulting with you. As always you should ask your board certified plastic surgeon what their policy is on this matter and what their advice is in this situation. 
Best wishes

Traci Temmen, MD

Still producing milk and breast augmentation planned

Congratulations on your decision to undergo breast augmentation.   With breast augmentation, I generally recommend that patients wait 3-6 months after milk production stops prior to undergoing the procedure.  

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast milk and Implant Surgery

Some women will still have some milk in their breasts during/after breast implant surgery. I usually advise my patients to wait 3-6 months after finishing the breast feeding routine to schedule their implant surgery. Another important question is where will your incision be. If it is in the breast crease then the risk of going through ducts is lower. If it is through the areola then you will cut through ducts and risk contamination/infection. Discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon and make sure you are happy with the answers. Hope this helps.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS

You need to discuss this with your surgeon. Occasionally patients make small amounts of "milk" for years. There are two main considerations. One is whether or not this is post-pregnancy and the breasts have deflated back to a stable shape/size. The other is the surgical approach planned. A peri-areolar incision would present more concern than an inframammary.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Yes. Best to see your OB/GYN to be Rxed drugs to stop the lactation. If still lactating cancel surgery...