I recently saw a board certified plastic surgeon for purposes of having my 27 year old implants removed and replaced.

The original incisions are inframammary. The surgeon told me that the new incisions had to be periareolar. I do not heal well, and don't want any additional scarring. Why can't the original incision area beneath each breast be utilized for the removal and replacement? Thanks for your time

Surgical approach for implant replacement

Maybe your surgeon prefers a periareolar incision. Really, any incision is acceptable but I prefer infra mammary. It give the best, most direct approach. Take this opportunity to remove some scar tissue and perhaps change your size.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Most surgeon would prefer to use the original inframammary incisions unless a lift was needed. I would suggest asking your doctor why he chose a new incision.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

New incision site

There is zero reason why the surgeon couldn't use the old incision. However, if a lift is planned also, you will need an incision around the areola to complete the mastopexy portion of the procedure, you are likely confusing what he/she is explaining to you. You should go back in for another consultation the fully understand what your goals of surgery are and what he/she is planning for you. 

Breast surgery

There should be no problem removing and replacing implants through an inframmary fold incision.  It may be that your surgeon is planning a lift around the areola and does not need the inframmary fold incision.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Incision access

Your concern is reasonable.

I would not perform a capsule and implant removal through a peri areola incision in a patient with 27 year old implants when she already had an imframammary scar unless there is something here I dont know 

Stand your ground. Be strong. Reconsider

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Incision is often surgeon preference

I am not familiar with every aspect of your situation, but I have performed many revisions through inframammary incisions and cannot think of reason it would be necessary to go through a new periareolar incision except that this may be the approach that is most comfortable for your surgeon to ensure he or she can see and reach everywhere needed in surgery to give you a great looking result. It is definitely more difficult to reach the top of an implant with an inframammary incision (especially when there is capsular contracture). 

Ask your surgeon why the incision needs to be there, and if you are still not comfortable with it after that discussion, you can always seek the opinion of other board certified surgeons. Best wishes. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

I agree with you! Why place new incisions upon your breasts?> Seek other in person opinions from private practice boarded PSs in Miami