I am a 30 year old mom of one. I'm also a figure competitor. I'm thinking about getting 400-450cc silicone implants (Photo)

I am a 30 year old mom of one. I'm also a figure competitor. Off season, I'm normally around 155-160lbs and when I'm competing...I'm normally 138-140lbs. My breast size is currently 32A. I am thinking about getting 400cc to 450cc silicone implants under the muscle high profile. I can't decide, so maybe you can guys can give me some feedback based on the pictures I've posted.

2 good indications for subglandular implants

Thank you for your question. Judging for your photos and from the history and goals that you have provided, my opinion is that it would be best for you to have implants placed in the subglandular plane, on top of the muscle. In most cases we prefer a subpectoral position to minimize the risk of capsular contracture, however you have two strong indications where a subglandular position would be of benefit. First, you appear to have had significant volume loss and as a result your skin is loose and excessive and your nipple position is low. A subglandular position and particularly using an anatomical implant would be best to refill the redundant skin and rotate the nipple upward. I would recommend the smallest implant necessary to adequately achieve these two goals. High or ultra high profile will likely be necessary judging from the apparent narrowness of your breast width, but 400-450cc may be more than is necessary to achieve an excellent result. Complications increase with implants larger than 400cc and with poor tissue elasticity and connective tissue support, you will be at increased risk for developing stretch deformities and implant malposition. 

Your second indication for having a subglandular augmentation is that you are a figure competitor. With a subpectoral position, your implants will move and possibly cause a noticeable distortion of the breast when you flex your pectoral muscles during competition. Your breasts will have a much more natural appearance and little to no such animation deformity with subglandular implants. Form stable implants with high fill ratios that are available today can minimize other concerns such as visible implant rippling.

Considering this, if you still prefer a submuscular implant position, that has its benefits as well. My opinion however is that you also will require a vertical (lolipop) mastopexy to lift the breast tissue and nipple up over the higher subpectoral implant.

I will post B&A photos of a similar case of mine for you on my profile page.

If you like, I would be happy to see you for a consult.

Best of luck.

Dr. Polo

I am a 30 year old mom of one. I'm also a figure competitor. I'm thinking about getting 400-450cc silicone implants

In my opinion, your breast skin is loose and your nipples are relatively low. Placing the implant under the muscle is a good idea to decrease capsular contracture but in your case, to make the new breast mound look the best cosmetically you will need almost the entire implant on top of the muscle. The only way to avoid that would be to add a breast lift to the operation

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast augmentation and lift candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have very sagging and small breasts. In this regard, you need volume (implants) and projection (the lift): Breast Augmentation w/Breast Lift.
I recommend you to use microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implant ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection, and 450ml will be excelent on you, to fill the breasts properly.
Finally, to perform the breast lift I recommend a Periareolar Round Block Breast Lift ("Benelli mastopexy"), which has an unnoticed scar around the areola, and if we see (in the surgery) that we can't obtain adecuate projection just with the Benelli Lift, we have to perform a "Lollipop breast lift".
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Size in The figure competitor.

Thanks for your question and the photos. I have included a link below which details my approach to sizing my patient, but I really wanted to take a moment to discuss Implants in the figure competitor.

Figure competitors and bodybuilders are tough when it comes to implants. I suspect you have seen as I have many figure competitors with implants that are very far apart. This is not because they have bad plastic surgeons, it is because the pectoral muscle tends to push implants down and out over time. This is magnified in the patient with extremely strong muscles (like I believe you have). Bigger implants will be more visible with contraction (flexion deformity)  and may move out more. Textured implants may stick more, but in my opinion tend to look more glued on.

Going above the muscle  is not as gratifying because with so little body fat the implants will look less natural and stuck on as well. Based upon your photos I also suspect you will need a lift.

These things don't mean you can't have implants, but with your physique I hope these concepts make sense and help to prepare you .

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

BA

The size should be fine for you.  However the implant should have a footprint that matches very closely to your chest width.  The projection should be determined by how much laxity and stretch of your breast skin you have.  Finally, I would recommend a shaped, textured implant OVER the muscle to avoid dynamic deformities when you are in competition.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

In my over the internet opinion you would need a lift also. But best to seek only in person opinions from boarded PSs in  MIAMI.

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Breast lift with augmentation

Thank you for your question. The goal with breast surgery is to achieve symmetry with a pleasing shape and volume according to the patient's desires. It looks like you would be best served with a combination of breast lift with augmentation.  The parameters of both the breast lift and the position of the breast implants should be designed to keep the implants relatively low while lifting the breast tissue and nipple to sit directly over the implants. Size is a critical question for many women who choose breast augmentation.  The key is to work with a Board Certified plastic surgeon with expertise and experience in breast augmentation. We combine a proven formula based on measurements of the rests and chest along with through discussions of patient's desires.  Photos of ideal breasts and results from patients with similar breasts are often very helpful in the discussion. 

Best breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Although breast implant size selection questions seems to be one of the most  frequently asked questions on this forum, I think that other concerns, such as careful selection of plastic surgeon and accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendations, are even more important when it comes to successful breast surgery. 

Although definitive advice would require in-person evaluation, I think that it is likely that you will benefit from breast lifting as well as breast augmentation surgery.  Based on your history and after viewing your photographs, I would be concerned that you will not be pleased with the long-term outcome achieved with breast augmentation surgery only. 

Breast augmentation/lifting surgery is a more complicated procedure (and more complication prone);  careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals will be key.  Furthermore, you will need to carefully consider the trade-offs (such as additional scarring) associated with breast lifting versus the upsides briefly discussed above.

Generally speaking, patients undergoing this combination operation should understand that it is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery only and that it is associated with will a significantly higher risk of complications and need for additional surgery.  Again, it will be important that you educate yourself regarding the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery. Only after doing so can you make an informed decision whether or not to proceed. You will find a lot of information on this website and on the attached link.

Also, generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 

2. Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. The use of temporary intraoperative sizers with the patient in the upright position makes selection of the best breast implant size/profile relatively easy.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo you will need a breast lift in addition to breast implants to achieve the best result.  The size of breast implant will be determined by the base width measurement of your breast.

To learn more about breast implant sizing please read the following link: