With a history of pheochromocytoma can I get a cosmetic procedure such as breast augmentation done?

I had one active hormone secreting tumor one year ago and had to be alpha blocked before surgery to avoid a hypertensive crisis. I'm currently monitoring any tumor growth every 6 months with MRIs and I'm currently tumor free. Will I be able to undergo an elective cosmetic procedure such as breast augmentation? 

Breast augmentation

I would always point this question to my anaesthetist. I would usually recommend involvement of the doctor who looks after your pheo and endocrine function in combination. If they are all happy then there is nothing from a surgical point that would likely be an absolute contraindication.

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Pheo and surgery

As long as your pheo has been removed and your blood pressure is back to normal, you are good to go.  I would double check with your Internist to make sure.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Pheochromocytoma and elective surgery

Agree with the other docs. If tumor removed you should be good to go but as these tumors are often associated with other endocrine tumors a clearance from your endocrinologist would be necessary prior to any elective procedures

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic procedure

As long as it has been addressed and you are medical/endocrine cleared of your pheochromocytoma, then future procedures should be ok.  You may want to have no epinephrine, etc which would need to be discussed with your plastic surgeon and clearing physician.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.

Pheochromocytoma

Hi.  It sounds like you had the tumor (the pheochromocytoma) removed, and are now free of disease.  So, assuming your endocrinologist and/or internal medicine specialist gives you medical clearance, you should be able to have an elective medical procedure.

Surgery

you underwent tx with the alpha blocker prior to removing the hormone secreting tumor. At this point now that you are tumor free, you should be just fine undergoing an elective procedure. 

Pheochromocytoma

Hello, the fact that you previously had a pheochromocytoma does not necessarily prevent you from having cosmetic surgery in the future.  However, your plastic surgeon might wish to consult with your endocrinologist and other treating physicians to determine whether this would be appropriate.