3 wks post-op, Labiaplasty. My Gyno said I had a reaction to the stitches. Would love your opinion on how it's healing? (photo)

My Gyno said said to come back to her in a week. 

Hard to tell

You have a suture extrusion. Without knowing how you looked before surgery I can't tell if you are doing well or not. The suture can be trimmed. Let things heal and re-evaluate in a few weeks. Hopefully you are still seeing your surgeon while the "dust settles" here. 

Best Regards,

John Di Saia  MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Post-op appearance after labiaplasty

I am sorry that things do not seem to be going as well as you and your gynecologist had expected.I do not see evidence of a reaction to the sutures, which is actually rather rare.  There may be a separation of the edges that were sutured together.  Initially this can look worse, but may improve more than you would expect over the coming months.  I do not do any revisions for at least 6 months after surgery. Then the tissues are stronger and the surgical needs for a revision can be better planned and carried out.  These recommendations are based on ten years of experience.  Dr. Alter's comments which were given are very good and instructional.  Ask your surgeon, past and potential second opinions, about their experience (both years of doing the procedures and number of cases, and techniques used) to find the right person for any possible revision. And remember, the law of averages can affect all surgeons or patients with less than expected results,sooner or later.  Good luck and remember healing and revisional surgery, if needed, can help you.

John M. Weeter, MD

Possible revisioin needed

Thank you for your post and although you are still early in the healing phase.  I do see as my colleagues have pointed areas of concern.  I would continue to follow all post op instructions and seek a second opinion for possible revision around 3 to 5 months from the time of the surgery.

There is a chance once the healing and swelling have completed, that you might be satisfied enough to not need a revision but I would mentally prepare for one.

Best of luck.

Healing "fine" from procedure, but you need more work

Hello New me,

I see a suture on your right labia that could be removed which will allow for faster healing. This is a common reaction and process of sutures. Your results, however, aren't up to my high standards. I'm very sorry if your unhappy with your new appearance, but not all is lost since you can still achieve a natural, youthful and attractive look with a proper revision Labiaplasty with clitoral hood reduction and clitoropexy.

Be sure to do your research this time and seek out an experienced cosmetic and reconstructive vaginal surgeon with expertise in botched Labiaplasty procedures. See link below for more information on choosing the best right  surgeon for you.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Labia reconstruction

You will be left with a labia deformity. No attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is much more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

3 wks post-op, Labiaplasty. My Gyno said I had a reaction to the stitches. Would love your opinion on how it's healing?

Although it is difficult to tell exactly what the problem is from your photo, it is evident that there is some asymmetry and hypertrophic tissue still present. As you are still early in the post operative phase, addressing any issues would need to be delayed until you are fully healed. If there is incisional separation, it is typically superficial, and will likely heal without any problems with local wound care. It is important to follow all post op instructions provided by your surgeon to ensure proper healing. In regards to the sutures, they do cause an inflammatory response especially during the phase when they are dissolving however, they would not be the reason your incision separates or becomes swollen. 

Yet another "Strange Labiaplasty" performed by a "general Gyno..!"

Your "Gyno" is covering for herself after a poorly performed labiaplasty. While it is difficult to be exact from your photo, NO- it should not look like this after 3 weeks, and has more to do with uninformed technique than "stitch reaction." Things are coming apart, ans she did not know how to reduce your robust hood so she just left it "...hanging..." From the appearance of the suture "dangling" from your labum, it looks like she used "rope!"  If done properly, after 3 weeks all your surface sutures should be dissolved, and things should begin to be looking good...

My suggestion? Let it totally heal & see how you feel after 6-8 weeks. If it looks weird, while I and most experts in revision would ask you to wait until 4-6 months to have the revision done, we can get an idea of what needs to b done & counsel you at 2-3 months. Do not go back to the Gyno who did your first surgery General Ob/Gyns, although they may be your regular doc, and be fine for delivering babies, doing hysterectomies and general office stuff, ARE NOT TRAINED in the plastic and microsurgical techniques necessary for successful labiaplasty.

You're swollen 3 weeks after your labiaplasty

All sutures cause "reactions" - that's how they dissolve. Some suture materials cause more inflammation than others and small bits of suture can sometimes cause longterm inflammation that requires extra intervention. Usually, finer monofilament suture materials cause less inflammation and discomfort than the "ropes" that were used in your surgery. Nonetheless, the swelling should go away when the suture material dissolves completely,

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and congratulations on your procedure.  Though difficult to assess your long-term appearance because of swelling and the orientation of the supplied image it appears that you have some asymmetry in the remaining amount of labia minora and clitoral hood tissues as well as an apparent separation of your incision on one side of your repair.  See your surgeon for an in-person evaluation and compare you before and after photographs to have the best determination on your healing progress.  Best wishes. 

3 wks post-op, Labiaplasty

It looks like the stitches are starting to dissolve. Sometimes the stitches work their way to the surface before they are fully dissloved. Hard to tell if there is a slight separation or not. It will contuine to look better as the swelling goes down. Just make sure you follow up with your doctor so that they can keep an eye on it as it heals.

Rigo Mendoza, MD