Hard breast tissue and puffy nipple still after gynecomastia surgery with top surgeon. Not normal? Ask for revision? (Photo)

I am nervous about my post surgery results (3 weeks post op). I still have droopy puffy nipples and there is barely a noticeable difference from before. Only glandular tissue was removed and no liposuction. I noticed he removed very little from one side after surgery (quarter size). I now know it was from the side that is still VERY puffy and cone shaped. Is it normal to still be able to feel hard breast tissue under the skin around the areola after surgery? Shouldn't that all be gone?

When to Consider a Revision to Gynecomastia Surgery

Your #incisions will go through a maturation process following #Gynecomastia surgery . For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. 

Too early to tell

I suggest you wait a couple months before you judge your results. You probably have swelling that is hiding your true results from surgery.

Patience Needed for Final Male Breast Reduction Result

What you describe is often normal early post operative findings that resolve with time. Swelling after Breast Reduction takes many months to see the final result. Elastic Garments and massage shortens this process. The larger the reduction the longer it takes as a general rule.

Possible problems three weeks after gynecomastia surgery.

I agree with Dr. Gingrass: it is way too early to see your postoperative result. It will take a few months before the swelling goes away.
From the photographs you submitted, you appear thin and I doubt that doing a liposuction as well would have been helpful
I suggest that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon and be patient. Patient satisfaction after surgery such is yours is very high in my experience.

John Newkirk, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Early postop

Thanks for your question, and I appreciate your concern but it i absolutely too early to make any judgements about the final result.  It honestly takes a full 6 months for every last bit of the swelling to go away.  I recommend being diligent about whatever postoperative compression was recommended and allow for tincture of time.  It is normal to be anxious about your postoperative result, but there is nothing to do other than "hurry up and wait".  I encourage you to ask questions of your surgeon.  Good luck to you.

Mary Gingrass, MD