Gynecomastia or male breast cancer? (Photo)

I and how are you. I'm a man and I'm 22 years old I'm 5'7 and I weight about 140 to 145 lbs. my quiestion is: I want to know if I have gynecomastia or is just over weight. I'm worry about breast cancer In male. My bmi is 22% thank u soo much.

Doctor Answers 11

Gynecomastia or male breast cancer

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. Based on pictures it is difficult to tell what you have. It very rare to have cancer in males. I recommend to see a board certified PS for evaluation.

Gynecomastia vs Fatty chest vs Cancer

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your body habitus suggests that you are not obese; perhaps a little over-weight, however.  But your chest appearance is not uncommon even in men in much better shape.  The male chest that overlies the pectoralis major muscle is made up of both fatty tissue as well as a certain component of fibrous breast tissue (the tissue which in females supports the milk glands).  Without putting my fingers on your chest it is difficult to assess whether your chest is made up of largely fatty tissue or a combination of both fat and fibrous tissue.  More commonly it is a combination of the both.  Cancerous involvement of these tissues is exceedingly rare but it can occur.  Being over-weight can cause fat to distribute to the chest.
To address your concern about cancer:  Again, cancer of these tissues if rare but can occur.  A visit to your family doctor or a referral to a plastic surgeon can help allay your concerns.   

J. Howell Tiller, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon
3.5 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Gynecomastia or male breast cancer?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your questions and photographs.  Your pictures do not demonstrate a clear indication of gynecomastia, but this often requires an in-person assessment.  Breast cancer in males is exceedingly rare, less than 1% of all breast cancers diagnosed.  See a board certified plastic surgeon who can diagnose any issues, and offer you treatment recommendations.  

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The incidence of breast cancer in males is less than 1% of all male cancers.
How ever if there is any question, concern this needs a thorough physical examination and proper workup to reach the appropriate diagnosis. This is most probably a Gynecomastia, but internet diagnosis is almost always the wrong diagnosis. Start by making an appointment with your family physician and your plastic surgeon for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Miami, FL

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It is very unusual to have malignancy in man and especially in your age.I performed over 6000 gynecomastia surgeries,and the youngest one I found cancer was 32 years old. 

How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 89 reviews

Gynecomastia or male breast cancer?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Do you have a family history of breast cancer(male or female ) in your immediate family?
Any symptoms, such as blood from your nipple, or an isolated mass?
I agree with a mammogram.

It appears that one breast is larger than the other in part because you have a chest wall asymmetry;
fat grafting in combination with gynecomastia surgery can help "cure" this issue.

I hope this helps

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Gynecomastia or male breast cancer? (Photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Appears as only gynecomastia but if so concerned seek a mammogram examination........................

Types of Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in boy between the ages of 12 to 15 years old and older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. This type of Gynecomastia takes about one to two years to regress on its own.
Pure Glandular Gynecomastia is seen more commonly in body builders and is caused by steroid use. Surgical removal of the gland is required for treatment.
Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.
Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.
Assymetric or Unilateral Gynecomastia appears in either one or both breasts at different degrees. In many cases one breast appears larger than the other. Surgery is a common treatment for this type of gynecomastia.
Pseudo-Gynecomastia is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery
Severe Gynecomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Do I Have Gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi diegoleon01,
Thanks for the post and the photos. Based on the photos I would say that you do not have gynecomastia, but an in person exam would be necssary to confirm this. if it is bothering you, I recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia to at least confirm whether you have it or not. As for male breast cancer, it is exceptionally rare, and even more so in someone your age.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

Gynecomastia vs male breast cancer

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your picture.  Your weight is appropriate.  Male breast cancer has a low incidence.  If you do not a family history and examination that suggests a breast mass then the likelihood for you is low.  The best thing for you to to would to visit with your primary care physician for an exam. If your chest exam is normal the see a board certified plastic surgeon to improve the contour of your chest. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.