Is it a good idea or even safe to have the PRP procedure done just 5 days after an FUE Surgery?

I just had an FUE transplant surgery of 1700 grafts done 3 days ago and wondering if it is a good idea or even safe to have the PRP procedure done just 5 days after the surgery? Thank you in advance for your response.

RPR post procedure

I recommend you do a PRP with the transplant or wait until 3 months post operative.  At this point I'd probably wait as 5 days post operative can disturb the grafts.

PRP after FUE

I do PRP with almost every hair transplant procedure whether its FUE or FUT.  Doing a PRP 5 days after your FUE procedure should not be an issue and it's likely that in my opinion it can help with the grafts if done correctly.  However its always best to discuss directly with your physician to gain their experience and knowledge before proceeding.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

PRP post procedure

PRP is powerfully effective post procedure to expedite healing and is also graft protective however i would recommend waiting at least 10 days to allow fusion of graft angles and resolution of any swelling as this can dilute the PRP that is injected rendering it less effective.  Best practice is to have it with your procedure and then again in 3 months time post. 

Post PRP make sure to avoid NSAIDs and cold compresses as this will hinder activation of the platelets.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

typically we perform PRP treatments at the time of the procedure. At 5 days this may affect the procedure or may introduce infection to the recipient area. I recommend follow up with the surgeon who performed your procedure for a recommendation. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Prp after FUE

Having PRP makes no sense after a hair transplant. My mess around with the recipient grafts. They need to take root and then let them grow out.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Prp injections after a hair transplant

Prp injections can assist in accelerating the healing time after receiving a hair transplant procedure.  Based on my experience, it can assist in preventing scar tissue formation, minimise shock loss and accelerate the growth rate of the transplanted hair follicles and yes, it is safe and good idea to have it after your hair transplant surgery but for sure it is better to consult with your surgeon to schedule your next prp sessions .

All the best 

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Safe to use PRP after 5 days post-op

It is safe and a great idea to have a PRP treatment 5 days post-op. We actually do a PRP treatment the day of the hair transplant procedure. We have done PRP treatments weeks before as well as weeks after hair transplant as well. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) post hair transplant.

You should always listen to the advice of the doctor who did you hair transplant surgery. After all, they are responsible for the result of your procedure and if you undertake a treatment in the transplanted area so soon after your hair transplant and then don't get the result you want in a year, the surgeon can blame it on the intervention you undertook.

Ask your hair transplant doctor. If they say no to PRP at 5 days post op then don't do it! 

The benefits of, and indications for, PRP are not yet established with good quality research. Post operative use at 5 days is not an established indication at this time. 

Greg Williams, FRCS (Plast)
London Hair Restoration Surgeon