Full Tummy Tuck and Lipo with Breast Augmentation and Implant scheduled at 7 pm. Conflicting answers, any advice?

Full tummy tuck & Lipo with breast augmentation and implant schulded at 7 pm?! The coordinator said 6/7 hours.. Prop said 2 hours!? How is this possible???? My first breast aug n implant was from 10am-6 pm due to a few complications! I'm worried.... Any advice?

Mommy makeover starting at 7 PM??

The simple fact that your initial breast augmentation required eight hours by your description makes me concerned that there is something not being taken into account here.  I also know of no surgeon's office that would start a surgery as extensive as yours with your past history at 7 PM so I suspect you should reevaluate carefully.  Good luck to you and please choose wisely.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Mommy make-over scheduled for 7 pm - is that ok?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • This is a most unusual surgical plan.
  • First of all, is your surgeon a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon operating out of an accredited surgery center?
  • If s/he is - then judgement is poor. Have the surgery rescheduled or find another surgeon.
  • If s/he is not Board Certified in plastic surgery and/or the the surgery center is not accredited - then you must find a different surgeon. 
  • Your surgery cannot be done in two hours - the proposal mis-led you.
  • It is not usual to do major elective surgery in the evening.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

TT/lipo + BA

Bad idea to start at 7pm. You should ask your surgeon/coordinator to reschedule to a time earlier in the day. That surgery will take every bit of 4-5hrs on the short end and could take 6-7 hours if things don't go completely smooth. Your surgeon will have been up and working since 7 or 8am and not evening planning on starting your long surgery for a period of 12hours after he/she has been operating already, not a good idea, this is how complications/mistakes happen.

Seriously, which clinic you going to? No private practice boarded PS would ever start a 6 to 8 hour elective surgery after 2 pm.... The risks of serious complications increase dramatically..........

Length of Time for Mommy Makeover

Additional procedures that may enhance the tummy result are Liposuction, Breast Procedures, or Thigh Lift of the mommy makeover.  Brazilian “butt enhancement” can be done at the same time to provide best body contours. Arm reduction or brachiaplasty is also common. Combining the mommy makeover procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

Now, if you want to ensure the length of time that you should expect for your actual procedure to take, it would be best to confirm with your surgeon how long they anticipate being in the operating area. There is always a chance that the 2 hour time estimate was just for the amount of time for the procedure and not for the additional time you will be in post-op recovery and awaking from anesthesia. There may always be a decent amount of time needed to wake up fully from anesthesia and revive to walking. So, check with your actual surgeon to help make sure. Good luck!

Late night surgery

I would check with your PS whether this is correct. I would postpone if this is the only slot available and ask to be rescheduled.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

7 pm start

Definitely issues with a surgery scheduled to start at 7 pm.The most important thing to pay attention to here is your intuition.  Never a good idea to go into surgery with reservations about the plan and your surgeon's judgement.  Meet with your surgeon and work it out or find someone else.  Best of luck!!

M. Renee Jespersen, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Surgery in the evening

There are numerous studies that show patients have higher complication rates with surgeries beginning after 3pm. I would discuss this in detail with your surgeon and re-schedule your surgery for another morning.Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Surgery

This is a lot of surgery to start at 7pm.  I would not recommend you pursue this.  A tummy tuck and lipo takes minimally 3 hours.  You would want your surgery to be performed latest in the early afternoon.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Tummy tuck, Liposuction, Breast Aug revision 6-7 hours

Your concerns are real. 2 hours is generally enough for a simple tummy tuck, but not for all you are planning, particularly as you mentioned a previous breast augmentation which means you are having a revision, a more complicated case than a first time augmentation.I can't imagine starting any non emergency surgery at 7p, even if only 2 hours long) which your surgery will not be). I also expect that you will be paying for 2 hours of anesthesia and operating room and be balance billed for the overtime. Please make sure you have your questions answered before proceeding with surgery. Also make sure you only see a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. 

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon