At 2 weeks after surgery, it is still too early to determine the outcome of your surgery. It is not uncommon to have swelling in one breast and not the other at this time. I would recommend letting your surgeon know about your concerns, but giving it a little more time for the breasts to even out.
There are a number of reasons why one breast may be larger than the other. If fluid collection is possible although one breast may just have more swelling within the skin and tissue. Bruising can also cause asymmetry. If your surgeon feels that you have a fluid collection and that it is secondary to bleeding, he or she will have a discussion regarding the pros and cons of draining the fluid.
Thank for your question. I would highly recommend that you get a second opinion to be evaluated for hematoma which should be drained, as your chances for additional complications such as a capsular contracture increase if this is the case.
All the best,
It is always a dilemma as to when to drain a seroma/hematoma after any procedure.If it is minimal leaving it alone is ok.It is truly a judgement call.
Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.
I recommend you to wait because depending on the size of the collection it can absorb itself or your doctor have to drain it.
In the other hand, In my practice, after performing a breast surgery I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-
Thank you for the question. Fluid collection after breast augmentation is not common. I would agree with your surgeon. If mild and not enlarging, it should be fine to wait for a couple of weeks to allow your body to absorb it. If this does not resolve spontaneously then you will need to have the fluid drained by your surgeon. Continue in close follow up with your plastic surgeon as they are in the best position to evaluate and treat you in the post operative period. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Since you are following with your surgeon closely there is not much to add. I might consider ultrasound exam to R/O hematoma, serum amounts. If less than 100 cc's than the decision on re operation vs allowing reabsorption needs to be made.
Thank you for your question. I would say that I would agree with your plastic surgeon and wait for another week or two to see how much swelling reduction you get. If it is persistent or if it is getting worse, that is where I would consider an intervention to drain the fluid surgically or with a needle if it is easy to do without injuring the implant. I would also recommend lymphatic massage, as this may help to decrease the amount of swelling that you're experiencing. Good luck.