Can I feel on my breast?

It's going to be 24 hours since I got my implants(@11am). It feels like I did 1k branchpresses at the gym lol, a very sore and pressure on my chest. Is it okay to feel around the breast and kind of massage it? Im also trying not to eat anything with sodium so the swelling can go down, I'm drinking lots of water and apple juice. I can't stay still and I have the need to always get up to walk around or use the bathroom to urinate. I also move a lot in bed trying to get comfortable, is that a no no ?

Can I feel on my breast?

Hi, javiner.  What you are describing seems very normal for recent post-op.  You will feel lots of tightness and heaviness which will improve over time.  Swelling will go down with time; you can feel/masage on your breasts as long as your plastic surgeon has shown you what to do.  Please follow your plastic surgeon's post-op instruction.  Good luck with your recovery.

Can I feel on my breast?

All surgeons have some variation for their postoperative instructions. I advise you to follow the instructions given to you by your surgeon. Each of us have a reason for the instruction utilize based on how we do our procedures and your instructions should be tailored to your surgeon's procedure. Contact the office, and go over the instructions again with him/her or the appropriate office staff member.

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Heavy feeling post aug

This is not uncommon.I have my patients apply ice to their sternal area between their breasts.Gentle massage as comfort dictates is ok.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Post-Op instructions after a breast augmentation

I think you should go over the post-operative breast augmentation with your surgeon. You need to take it easy after surgery. Good luck.

Can I feel on my breast?

Only 1 day post. You had breast surgery. Did not your surgeon explain and give you post instructions? Maybe a phone call to his/her office to ask your questions is a better route for you to proceed at this point. Healing after augmentation takes at least 10 days.. 

Post op care

It is normal to feel a lot of pressure and be sore just one day post op, and you will actually feel this way for at least the next 3 days before the pain starts to improve.  You will need to check with your doctor to find out what their protocol and after care is before doing any massaging.  Every doctor is different and it is important you follow your doctors advise, as you trusted them to perform your surgery you need to trust their post-op care instructions.  

You need to rest, it is okay to move around but you also want to rest and let your body heal.  You are probably urinating a lot because of all the fluids you are consuming.  

If you would like more information regarding breast augmentation and the recovery process you can download a free copy of my breast augmenation planner at ABetterBreast.com. 

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Post-Operative Instructions days 1-3

You are doing too much. Relax, take your medications, and nap or watch movies in a recliner, reclining sofa or propped up in bed. I don't want my patient's doing much else for the first 3 days after their surgery. Follow your surgeon's instructions but here are my instructions as a reference:

Immediate BREAST augmentation post-operative Instructions (days 0-3 after surgery or until 1 post-op appt.)
Leave the surgical bra and strap in place. Looking at them doesn’t make your result prettier and doesn’t prevent problems. In fact it increases pain, swelling, bruising and likelihood of complication. However, to prevent skin breakdown/blisters and improve comfort, you can loosen/remove strap for 3-5 minutes every two hours, but ensure it is ABOVE purple or silver line/zipper at all times. If you love them the day after surgery, your non-compliance can still negatively alter the result during the 3 month healing phase. If don’t love them immediately, it doesn’t mean they won’t settle, round out and look amazing 8-12 weeks after surgery.

There are no dressings to change, or drain tubes, and all stitches will dissolve but you have steri-strips covering your incision, that will not dissolve, and will be removed at your second follow-up appointment.

The implant and pocket was washed with numbing medicine and antibiotic liquid, so it is normal to hear some fluid swishing, or gurgling noises. Your body absorbs this fluid over the first week after your procedure and these noises will dissipate.

Use your arms as little as possible and keep your elbows to your sides. Do NOT lift more than 2lbs. Do NOT push or pull yourself up with your arms. Do NOT lift arms above your head. Any repetitive motion or lifting more than 2 pounds will negatively affect your result long term.

You may sponge bathe or sit in a couple of inches of water in the bathtub and wash that way, but do not remove bra and strap and do NOT shower.

Take your pain pills and antibiotics as directed and muscle relaxant and nausea pill as needed. You’ve been given a separate sheet with detailed medication information.

You should not be driving, working or showing off your breasts at this time. This is not the time to catch up on housework, errands or shopping. You had a complex surgery under general anesthesia and should be resting comfortably in a recliner, reclining sofa or propped up on pillows in bed until your first post-operative appointment.

Plan on having an adult present for at least 24 hours after surgery, but optimally for the first 3-5 days.

Dr. Feldman has done a quality surgery and your results are now based on your compliance with all instructions and activity restrictions.