Is a face lift right for me? (photos)

I am 25 but I have a very aged appearance, Im often mistaken for 40s. I can't pinpoint exactly what makes me look so old but I think it has a lot to do with my facial shape, my face is naturally saggy looking. Can a facelift help me turn back the clock even though I'm not typically in the right age group?

Looking aged at 25

Thank you for asking about your face lift.

• Your photo is very helpful - you certainly are lovely and do not need a face lift.
  • In my experience, young people can be taken for older for various reasons based entirely on how they dress, look and speak.
  • In LA for instance, any woman your age who doesn't dress like a teenager is 'old'.
  • In Atlanta, bright colors mean 'young'.
  • Your headgear is adorable - and so is your hair - but it might not be the young Miami look.
  • what about finding a stylist at a shop that targets young people in Miami and ask for help getting into the youthful Miami look.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

You may be a better candidate for nonsurgical cosmetic treatments.

A facelift corrects deep creases and sagging skin in the lower face and jowls, which you don’t appear to have. At only 25, I don’t recommend getting a facelift. However, you may be a good candidate for nonsurgical cosmetic options. Dermal fillers can restore some mild volume loss you may have in the lower face, while Thermage® can help firm and tighten the skin. I recommend practicing good skin care with medical grade products to help preserve your youthful look for as long as possible.

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon

While age should not be the primary concern when thinking about getting a facelift, the 20s is typically too young.

While age should not be the primary concern when thinking about getting a facelift, the 20s is typically too young just because it is extremely rare that a 20-something has the necessary skin laxity to warrant a facelift. From your photo, it does not appear as though you would be a good candidate for a full surgical facelift. I recommend visiting a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an in-person consultation to evaluate your concerns and see if there are other, less invasive options available that may help you to look and feel more youthful. I hope this helps.

Is a face lift right for me?

Hello Africannose,

I would not recommend a facelift for you.  The picture you showed is not ideal for assessing someone for a facelift because you are smiling.  However, there is no appreciable loose skin, and you do not have the face of a 40 year old.  I would recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to go over what bothers you and determine the best course of action.  At your age the use of fillers and Botox is more common than a surgical procedure.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift vs non-surgical options

Ultimately, a surgical face lift provides the best contouring for someone with moderate or severe laxity. This procedure could include tightening your underlying musculature to give you a better contour and also removing the excess skin laxity. Together this allows for a much better face and neck contour. In some instances, some liposuction is also beneficial to reduce the submental fullness. Based on your photo, I would recommend exploring non-surgical options first. 

There are effective non-surgical options for you. I would recommend Ulthera if you are looking for something with no downtime, or Profound if you could tolerate some downtime. Ulthera is an ultrasound based energy that heats the underlying tissue and stimulates collagen in response. Profound is a radio frequency microneedling device that allows for the creation of Elastin, collagen and hyaluronic acid and hence restores some of the lost elasticity in the face. It has more visible downtime with the possibility of some swelling and bruising that diminishes in about a weeks time.

Dermal fillers may also give you more cheek (mid face) definition and soften the jowls to a lesser degree than surgery, but create a nice contrast. Adding fillers to the parenthesis lines can also make a tremendous difference to softening some of the facial shadows and create a more youthful appearance.

I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who has the portfolio of non-surgical options in your area who can help explain the treatment options for you and the limitations of each option, both surgical and non-surgical.

I'd recommend booking a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or a Dermatologist to discuss non-surgical options. 

Take care. 

Too Young for a Facelift

Hello and thank you for your question and photo.  You do not need a facelift.  Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an in person consultation to evaluate your concerns.  Best of luck!

John Ward, MD (retired)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Mistaken for 40

Hi!  From your photo I don't see any signs of premature aging. You might want to consult with a plastic surgeon in your area to discuss non-surgical treatment options to address your concerns.

Barry N. Silberg, MD, FACS
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for  the question and one photo but it is not enough to make a recommendation from.  So see some experts in your area and be evaluated.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Too young for facelift?

Thank you for your question.  At 25, I would not expect you to have enough sagging to warrant a facelift.  Based on your photos, you may have some midface volume loss or flattening genetically that can make you look older that might benefit from other procedures such as injectables or fat transfer. I would recommend consultation with a facial plastic surgeon to discuss what option is best for you.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."