Eyes feel heavy. Am I ready for Botox after upper eyelid surgery? (Photos)

I'm a 73 year-old woman who had upper eyelid surgery done since my eyelids were droopy and I felt a constant irritation, especially in my left eye. I believe this was due to the cataract surgery I had done . Anyways, I had my eyelid surgery done on June 25, 2015 and since my brows couldn't be lifted because I had them tattooed, my eyelids feel heavy. I wanted to know if I was ready for some Botox injection so my eyes could be lifted a bit. Thank you.

BOTOX or Surgery?

Thanks for your question. Without an in-person examination, it's difficult to determine whether BOTOX would benefit you. My first inclination is to recommend that you return to the surgeon who performed your upper eyelid surgery, or seek a second opinion from a board-certified plastic surgeon. While it has been only a few months since your upper blepharoplasty, it does appear that your results are incomplete. You still have drooping and sagging which "hoods" your upper eyelids. Ideally, a brow lift should be performed to enhance the results of the eyelid surgery, but as you mentioned, the permanent eyebrow tattoos make this impossible.

As for BOTOX injections, I don't believe they will provide the results that you are looking for. However, if you find a qualified, reputable injector who believes BOTOX may improve your concerns, it is a relatively small investment and may be worth trying. Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon for counsel that is based on a physical evaluation of your concerns. Best of luck to you!

Burlington Plastic Surgeon

Botox versus Eyelid Surgery

Botox versus eyelid surgery is the question.  An in office consultation would give you a definitive answer but it appears that you might benefit more from a bleparoplasm.  Please consult a board certified physician with a great deal of experience with Botox and surgical procedures.

Eyes feel heavy. Am I ready for Botox after upper eyelid surgery?

Thank you for your question.  I have treated many patients with Botox and can achieve some modest elevation of the eyebrows with this technique.  In my opinion from the photos shown, your upper eyelid ptosis is too advanced to be fully corrected with the use of Botox.  I would recommend consultation with a surgeon who specializes in eyelids.

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs.  In order to make the best recommendation for treatment, an in-person examination to guide you to the best therapy is really needed. From your photographs, it appears that you may have ptosis of your upper eyelids. This requires surgery to help you be able to open your eyelids to a more appropriate level. In addition, it appears that you may benefit from a bit more eyelid skin removal to further enhance your results.  I would be concerned that Botox may worsen your symptoms by causing further lid closure and eyebrow sagging.  See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that can help you make the best decision

In this presented case with very nice posted photos I might recommend in person evaluation to determine if BOTOX injections would even be a benefit to you... 

Eyes feel heavy 2 months after Upper Eyelid Surgery

You have Droopy eyelids or Ptosis of the eyelids that are affecting your vision.
Surgery is the most effective way to correct this.
Botox may be a short term solution, but I am not sure it will be as effective as Surgery
You should see an Eyelid Specialist

Botox after blepharoplasty

You can use Botox at any time for relaxation of your corrugators and lateral orbicularis muscles. Since these muscles both pull down on the eyebrow, relaxation can reduce the feeling of heaviness. Unfortunately it isn't as effective as a brow lift, but it's better than nothing! 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon