Why are my eyelids SO asymmetrical? (photos)

Recently, I've been noticing that when people fotograph me my eyes look quite assymetric. It really bothers me. It's the area of the eyelids. The right one looks far more bigger than the other one, specially considering I have thin almond eyes. It seems to be related to my skull structure perhaps? I feel it's quite obvious and noticeable. Is it normal? Could it be fixed and how? It bothers me and kind of worries me. Thank you so much!

Uneven eyes from asymmetric eyelid ptosis

You appear to have left upper eyelid ptosis (droopy eyelid) which causes the same side eyebrow to elevate in order to assist raise the droopy eyelid. See an oculoplastic surgeon for consideration of left upper lid ptosis surgery, which can be done under local anesthesia. See link below.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Left eyelid ptosis

Your asymmetry stems from left eyelid ptosis  (droop), which is exacerbated by your subconscious use of your forehead muscle to raise your left eyebrow to compensate. This ends up increasing the show of your left eyelid platform (space between your eyelash and eyebrow.

An examination by an Oculoplastics specialist is necessary.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetric upper lids

Hi. Based on your photos it seems you have a small degree of ptosis on the left. This can be corrected. Make sure sure see a surgeon who specializes in ptosis repair . Look at before and after photos. Good luck Dr PG

Ptosis on the left

The most common cause of the asymmetry seen in your photograph is ptosis. (Skull structure issues causing asymmetry are comparatively rare.) Measurements and clinical examination by an Oculoplastic surgeon will clarify the reason for your asymmetry. Ptosis repair is an operation that may be performed in an office setting or ambulatory surgery center under sedation. Best wishes with your decision!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Besides the anatomic, developmental issues you also have slight left upper lid ptosis. Best to seek in person examinations.

Ptosis

You have a slight ptosis on the left side.  This causes your eyebrow to elevate in attempt to help elevate the lid.  See an oculoplastic surgeon.  They can evaluate the eyelid muscles and determine what surgery would be best to help lift that eyelid, which will give you more symmetry.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid ptosis

from the photo it looks as though you have  left upper eyelid ptosis with a brow compensation. It is possible that the muscle in your left upper eyelid which opens the eye has weakened so to speak. To compensate for this you are raising your left brow exposing a little hollowness which adds to the asymmetry.  There are many qualified surgeons in your area to address these issues.   

Robert Schwarcz, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Orbital asymmetry

If this has been present for a long time and is stable, then your assessment is probably accurate.  Correction of bony orbital asymmetry is difficult and should be done by a surgeon (team) trained and experienced in doing this type of operation.  There are much simpler techniques for partially camouflaging this that could be used.

Richard O. Gregory, MD