Anyone have experience with Rhodotorula glutinis with breast implants?

Had a prophylactic bi-lateral mastectomy with reconstruction April 2016. (685cc high profile, gummi-bear implants) Right breast started to retain fluid. Was aspirated twice, cultures came back with rhodotorula glutinis. Have since had RT implant removed. Was treated with antifungal through a picc line & need to wait 3 months to heal before further reconstruction. My question is, what are my options for breasts now--they tell me no plastic, no implants.

Doctor Answers 2

Tough problem.

Sorry to learn of your situation. Your infectious agent is extremely rare, and it is important to make sure that a complete medical work up has been completed to determine that there are no other medical concerns, such as reasons for immunosuppression, etc. That being said, I would recommend at least a six month waiting period before considering revision surgery, and this would need to be carefully coordinated with your surgeon, your infectious disease physician, and your internist. 

There is no question that once you have had an infection, reinserting an implant, even many months later, has a higher risk of infection, that would be lessened with an autologous reconstruction (using your own tissue without the use of an implant). Discuss this with your surgeon. Best of luck to you. 

Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Anyone have experience with Rhodotorula glutinis with breast implants?

Sorry for your issues. I have had experience with your situations. The only options left: #1 Do no further surgeries. #2 Brava and fat grafting sessions. Dr Roger Khoury can offer the if you are covered by health insurance. If no insurance I can offer you this option . 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.