Stinky odor after labiaplasty. Why?

Hello. This is nasty but after labiaplasty (got it done 2 days ago) I have a strong foul odor down there. It smells really bad. 1) Why, 2) is it normal , 3) when will it go away? I don't have any pain at all but do have a discharge. No yeast infection as I didn't have it before and didn't take any medication after the surgery. Please don't answer - go to your gynecologist bla bla bla. I will go ! But need to get an answer from other doctors. Thank you.

Infection Post Op

Thank you for your question.   First you should be evaluated by your surgeon.  Based on your description, it most likely sounds like an infection and should most likely be treated.Please, make sure to keep the area clean by using a water squirt bottle with every trip to the restroom.  Also recommend putting an antibiotic ointment on the area twice a day such Bacitracin.Best of luck.

Discharge and Odor are Typically Infection

Hello and thank you for your question. There are many things to consider when making sure that this is an infection or not, and whether you have been given all of the instructions to clean the area, such as soaking in warm soapy water for calm cleaning. If it has been cleaned, then there is likely an infection and your surgeon should be the one to take care of it. Best of luck to you!

Discharge means infection

That's the most likely answer, and antibiotics would be indicated. Other reasons could be hygiene issues. I recommend each patient use a spray bottle after each trip to the bathroom and pat dry. Showering is OK on postop day 1 with soap and water running over the area but no direct contact or cleaning. Bacitracin 2x per day for the first week, then Vaseline for the second. Those are my recs for all patients. I only use antibiotics for the day of surgery because infection is so very rare with genital surgery.

Not normal

Hello Nady,

Get in to see your surgeon ASAP. At least contact him or her ASAP. This is not normal and might indicate infection.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Stinky odor after labiaplasty. Why?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery!  There are a number of reasons that can cause an odor after surgery and a full series of photographs would help provide more definite advice.  That said, possibilities include sweat, break down of blood/blood products, infection, and devitalized skin.  As you mentioned in your narrative your surgeon can best diagnose the cause with an in-person exam.  Best wishes.